Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

travelling docs for HK born babies

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User

travelling docs for HK born babies

my son is HK born so he has a HK birth certificate - when you travel with your HK born, do you pass through immigration controls with his/her HK birth certificate and passport or have you gone and got an endorsement label on his/her pp (from the HK immigration office) saying he is eligible for a permanent ID card?

on their website, it says that "normally do not need to apply for such verification/endorsement" for under 11 year olds but when i travelled with my son last year, immigration control told me to get that "label" on his pp for convenience sake. i'd just travelled with his HK birth certificate back then.

the problem here is that his pp is coming out in mid-may and we're due to go on hol at the end of may. if i apply for that "label" then it will take 6 weeks! so not sure if it is compulsory to get that "label" instead of just taking the HK birth certificate with his pp this time too.

how do you go through HK immigration controls with your HK born?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I never had any problems going through immigration with my son. He travels on a US passport but has a sticker inside of his passport (maybe what you refer to as a "label") that states that he is a permanent resident of Hong Kong. It didn't take much time at all to receive that sticker, if I remember correctly. Is there any way you can rush the delivery of the passport? We paid an extra fee in the US and got his passport back within a week. When we arrived back in HK the first thing we did was fill out the paperwork to apply for permanent residency for my son (his father is a permanent HK resident).

What type of passport is he traveling on? Which country? If it's a HK passport then it seems that he should have even less trouble than passports from other places.

Unfortunately, I think that the "label" you're talking about is probably a necessity but to make sure just contact the immigration department through e mail with your question--they're very good at responding to e mails--usually within a day or so. Explain your situation and they may be able to help you sort it out.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    It's not compulsory to get the label/sticker. You can just travel with your baby's birth certificate and passport. However, it is much more convenient to just have the label in the passport. You can apply for the label now and if you don't get it in time for travelling, just bring the birth certificate.

rani is offline Administrator
    We got the sticker as well, but we travelled quite a few times without it initially. Shouldn't be a problem. Birth certificate and passport should be fine.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    You can ask for them to speed up the sticker if you're travelling. We did that with our first and got it done in 1-2 weeks instead of 6. With our 2nd, we didn't need it urgently, we just got it done the regular way, and I was surprised when it was ready in only about 2-3 weeks, I was expecting 6 weeks.

That said, if you DON'T have it, you can travel with the birth cert instead. But I do think that having the sticker is easier.

canadianinhk is offline Registered User
    I was wondering the same thing. Both my husband and I are permanent residents but we are Canadians. Does anyone know what form I have to fill out to get the sticker in my daughter's passport?

I am not 100% sure as my husband is Chinese so our kids have right of abode here. Your situation is a little different. I THINK they need a dependent visa actually. The sticker in the passport is (in my understanding) for kids who do have right of abode. They get that by being Chinese. If you or your husband are NOT "three star permanent residents" then your kids don't get ROA and they need a visa instead. (that's my understanding... but please someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!!)

ugh sorry just re read that you are permanent residents - if you are three star permanent residents (or if any of your parents/grandparents etc are), then you need to fill out the forms ROP145 and ID683 - you can download them here: http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/right_1.htm and submit them either by mail or by going to the Immigration tower at Wan Chai - right of abode section, I forget what floor, but you have to take the lift from the ground floor. The floor number is on the forms.

If you're not sure if your child has ROA or not, you can tell by looking on their passport - if it says "status of permanent resident.... ESTABLISHED" then they have ROA. (again, that's my understanding - I'm not an expert on this... just done it twice with my two girls ;) )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast