Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

HK Vaccine - mercury free?

kacoak is offline Registered User

HK Vaccine - mercury free?

Hi, anyone knows if children vaccines in HK are thimerisol (mercury) free? I have tried calling a couple of hospitals but I must not have gotten the right people as they don't seem to know the answer to this question. We've recently moved from the US and our old pediatrician emphasized their mercury-free vaccines. Would like to seek the same type of practices here.

Thanks in advance for any input!
    Last edited by kacoak; 04-16-2011 at 06:37 PM.

carang is offline Registered User
    so far as i know, yes, they are mercury free. as a matter of fact, i thought they stopped manufacturing vaccines with mercury years ago... could be wrong on that, but i'm sure i read it somewhere.

seattleite is offline Registered User
    I also took my kids to a practice in the US that used thimerosal-free vaccines. Here in HK though, I have not been able to get definitive answers. One doctor offered to give me the little pamphlet that is tucked inside the box that the vaccine comes in, but I am not a doctor and I don't know what to look for or how to tell if something is thimerosal-free. (I also thought it was soooo strange that the doctors don't know off the top of their heads or offer to look it up or something! I've taken the kids to several and have yet to find one that will be their primary)

I had my son vaccinated with the usual vaccines recommended at 1 year, anyway, without knowing if the preservative is in them, because I thought the risk of mercury in his body was lower than the risk of him not being vaccinated.

If you find out a place or resource to find the answer to your question, please share because I would like to know, too!

carang is offline Registered User
    do a search on here, i seem to remember a thread that was precisely about this topic a few years ago... i think that is where i read that they are ALL mercury free now...

elle is offline Registered User
    Dr. Richard Chu, a pediatician in Central, should be able to give you a definitive answer. We have used him since the birth of our child and he follows US practice, gives shots on the US schedule, using US products, etc. He is fabulous with answering questions, takes time to explain everything. But, you would probably have to speak with him as his staff's English isn't as great and they may misunderstand.