Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Reckless Mini Bus Driver--How To Report?

JayJay is offline Registered User
    Among the different kinds of public transport in HK, I wouldn't worry much about the MTR or buses. All the buses I've taken in HK are driven really conservatively.

Trams are pretty safe too. But they're probably not suitable for infants since they're often crowded.

Light rails are ok too. But I find the inertial forces of the car are quite strong. So I would be cautious.

Minibuses are definitely a bad idea if you are carrying an infant. They tend to hard brake and hard accelerate. And they don't brake enough when making turns. You'll have a hard time just staying in your seat.

Taxis are mostly ok. But pick and choose your drivers.
    -Avoid really old drivers. Not trying to discriminate against the elderly but some of these guys are just way too old to be driving.
    -If you see reading glasses on the dashboard, get out. One time, I printed out the address of where I wanted to go to show to the driver. The text wasn't particularly small, but he had to put on his reading glasses and squint before barely being able to read it. Driving requires vision, both near and far.
    - If you see more than 1 mobile phone on the dashboard, get out. The worse I've seen is 3 phones on the dashboard. And then 2 more phones attached to the face of the steering wheel via velcro.

carang is offline Registered User
    i had a taxi driver once with 7 phones. they are not necessarily bad drivers, they just work for many companies in order to maximise their profits.

the rest of what you wrote, i agree with.

bryant.english is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by erina320 View Post
    I'm curious, If you don't take taxi's or Minibuses how do you get around?

We will be moving to HK in July with two little girls and I am VERY concerned for their safety when traveling in vehicles. We don't have immediate plans to get a car and would rely mainly on the MTR, buses and taxies to get around. I am a staunch advocate for carseat use in cars of course, but also for air travel... I have never really had to deal with public transportation and am wondering how we're going to tackle this safely with a 5 month old and a 3 year old?! Do you use your car seat in taxis? How do you avoid mini buses? How do you travel safely on the MTR with little ones? What about buses? Thanks.
    Buy a car for heavens sake.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english View Post
    Buy a car for heavens sake.
    Wish it was that easy for us. Would you like to buy me a car? If you do, let me know and I'll PM you the details of where you can drop it off. :)
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

taysty is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    Wish it was that easy for us. Would you like to buy me a car? If you do, let me know and I'll PM you the details of where you can drop it off. :)
    If you really get a car from this poster let me know coz I want one too! LOL
    thanka2 likes this.

JayJay is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    i had a taxi driver once with 7 phones. they are not necessarily bad drivers, they just work for many companies in order to maximise their profits.

the rest of what you wrote, i agree with.
    You're right. The number of phones don't determine whether the driver is capable or not. But for each phone call that the driver takes while on the road, your own safety is compromised. The drivers with multiple phones often have to juggle several calls at once. They are maximizing their profit at the expense of safety.
    FYI, my wife and infant son took a taxi recently. The driver was juggling multiple calls when he unknowingly ran a red light. Then bam! They were sideswiped by a turning vehicle. We were fortunate in that no one was injured but there's no doubt that it could have been prevented if the driver paid attention to the road rather than his calls.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123