Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Healthy Breakfast Cereal for babies/toddlers

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Healthy Breakfast Cereal for babies/toddlers

Morning, just wondering if any mummies have done some research on which breakfast cereals are good and healthy for kids? I was at 360 yesterday and there is wide variety available but I can't decide which ones are actually healthy to be given to our kids for breakfast/snacks?

Thanks in advance!

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    You're right cereals are a minefield and the packaging is so deceiving, they make out they're healthy and there's actually loads of hidden salt and sugar in some brands. Porridge is pretty much the only one without salt or sugar added. (And shredded wheat I think, but I can't stand those!). We have porridge most mornings and occasionally weetabix, cheerios (yellow packet) or rice crispies which all have salt and sugar to some extent but they are some of the lowest.

We avoid anything that is cocoa or honey as I don't think they actually need too much of a sugar rush in the morning, plus they are already getting energy from the natural sugars in the fresh fruit they have on their cereal.

Be careful of the organic brands as they 'seem' healthier but often their sugars are labelled 'raw cane extract' in the ingredients or some such which is organic, yes, but at the end of the day still extra sugar - always check the nutritional content to be sure what you're getting.

(I've spent hours reading cereal packets - can you tell!)

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    apart from shredded wheat, rice crispies and the "regular" cheerios - you can try "just right" - it's really like it's label says "just right" - not the tastiest, but my daughter likes it. also, oatmeal with milk in the morning is a healthy choice too - though i believe that has some sodium in it too - go for the organic kind as that has less sodium in comparison....also, will but oatmeal squares and mix it in with the other cereals - that is higher in sodium, but it makes eating rice crispies much easier (as that IS quite bland!)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I get "quakers oatmeal squares" but they are quite high in sugar. Yummy though!!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I also get the oatmeal squares, but just give them as finger food.
    For cereal, I love brown rice flakes, by ****oggs. They are a bit like corn flakes but thicker and crunchier. It has a simple but nice taste, and is healthy. I mix it with yogurt, a bit of soy milk and chopped up fruit.
    I used to buy cheerios-that's what all the moms give back home, but it's about $80 a box here, for the yellow(healthy) one, so I stopped doing that.

katfroggatt is offline Registered User
    I give my baby Healthy Times and Nestle Celerac although i much prefer Healthy Times as the flakes mixes very well with milk or water so its not lumpy. Recently there is an arsenic scare in UK when this article was published online. Though id share it with you all. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...aby-foods.html

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    The Australian Consumer association have done several studies, including a very recent one, on this topic. Basically, the only commercial cereals that meet healthy guidelines for daily use for kids was Kids Weetbix (weetabix is similar, but is not widely sold in Australia, nor are cheerios, so not sure how they compare). All the others are too high in sugar and sodium, although there were quite a few like rice krispies and cornflakes that were fine for occasional use ie once a week or less. They did say the best breakfast was oats as porridge, but this doesn't include the 'quick oat'commercial cereals just normal rolled oats.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    My kids generally have oatmeal squares or cheerios (but they are 3 years and 15 months now). Sometimes scrambled eggs or toast or weetbix but usually cereal. My 3 year old likes to pour the squares or cheerios into the bowl and help pour the milk. If it matters to you, check the box for the cheerios as some are made in China (this bothers me so I check it). I make sure we buy the US ones.

When they were younger, they had baby oatmeal (there are a heap of choices at Bumps 2 Babes) or weetbix with fruit puree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast