Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

10mth old is a picky eater - HELP!

lesliefu is offline Registered User

Unhappy 10mth old is a picky eater - HELP!

meal time for my 10mth is a pain - to say the least...she needs sth different every meal, and no repeats back to back (Monday and then same food on Tuesday)....

my dilemma is that I don't want to make eating time traumatic for her and so when she wrestles with her food and whoever is feeding her - i always end up giving her bread and fruit which she never refuses. my question is though - am i giving into her demands and is she training ME instead of vice versa? I have tried "starving" her - say depriving her of a "full" meal when she's not behaving, and instead give her water - but the girl LOVES water and can drink a whole glass on an empty stomach...and then feel full...so no "lesson" would be learnt!

my solution is to make different finger foods - which she enjoys, cause she likes feeding herself - and then work from there....what a terrible eater! are all 10mth olds the same or was my #1 who literally ate EVERYTHING I gave her just an anomaly? Any suggestions as what I can do?!? THANKS!

penelope is offline Registered User
    Well my twins are 10 month old as well and meal times are a PAIN...
    They refuse to be spoon fed so I tried every possible finger food recipe i've found wit little success...They live on rusks and bread
    I get so frustrated it s driving me crazy. Hopefully it s just a phase

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I don't think it's just the 10-month-olds. My son has been a picky eater since he started eating solids. I am just happy to hear that your daughter will at least eat fruit. The only fruit my son will touch are apples and dried jackfruit--and those are the only two. He won't even drink fruit juice--doesn't even like sweet juices like apple or orange. To even get him to try a freshly picked strawberry (that he picked himself!) my husband had to bribe him and then he only took one bite and said he didn't like it. The only vegetable he will eat is broccoli and it has to be cooked and only in very small amounts mixed with rice. It actually distresses me a lot and I've tried different methods but the only way we can get those veggies and fruits into him is to puree them and hide them in the food he eats. But, at the same time, food is really the last battle ground I want to fight over with my child. I'm hoping some day if we just keep giving him opportunities his tastes will magically change.

I say all that just to say, it's normal and without creating a war zone, there's not much you can do, I think.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

1sttimemom is offline Registered User
    My LO started out great, eating everything. Now that she's 9 1/2 months old, she's starting to definitely show her preferences towards fruit (incl. avocados). I've heard that it's best to get them to try the food but neutrally. So, no saying "it's yummy" or making faces. Sometimes kids will just rebel (if you think it's yummy) or just be turned off (if you make "yucky" faces). I'm not sure this will work from my experience - for a while, when she saw green she just turned away and I had to give her fruit first, let her play with the fruit bowl, then feed her the veggies. BUT would love to hear from other moms.

Off on a bit of a tangent... what types of bread do you give? My LO only has her front two teeth, so I haven't given bread yet. Do you all toast it?

Favorite finger foods? I've given watermelon dices, small pcs of grapes, cheddar cheese, cubed carrots/broccoli, ... I am trying to encourage her to self-feed more.

Biggie is offline Registered User
    You are definitely not alone. My 2 Yr old boy has been a picky eater. He just doesn't really like to eat so we have to distract him with toys etc at meal time and that has developed into this horrible habit now of him usually eating while playing with my iphone. I think if your little one actually likes feeding herself that's a good start. And not having the same food back to back isn't that difficult. You can just freeze some and rotate it. Come on, I won't like eating the same food two meals back to back either =P
    Pasta is good finger food and seems like all kids like pasta, choose easier to grab ones like fusilli, or penne.

penelope is offline Registered User
    Mine have 6 teeth each but obviously not bak teeth yet. I can give then any bread really even baguette. they just suck it then cut it when it s all mushy. if I give them sliced bread I toast it a little bit first then put a bit of butter or cream cheese on.
    Today I spent all morning making nice little meat balls and sweet potato chips and they didn't touch it... they loved it 4 days ago!!! AAAAAAArrrrggggggggggggggggg

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    sounds terrible - but I'm happy to know I'm not the only one having problems! She actually ate a REAL good meal today - she was SO quiet nobody even knew she was there...not the healthiest - I gave her a 1/4 slice of pizza from Pizza Hut (no toppings)...she LOVES bread and this had tomato sauce on it! Normally she eats the small cocktail buns so that she can hold it herself...though I have also bought the regular loafs and cut them into 1/4 so she can eat it nicely.

yeah - having the same food too many times is no fun...will try freezing more and making it every 3 days instead of alternate days!

thanks guys!

RileyC is offline Registered User
    lesliefu, if you need some food ideas for your LO, check out http://weelicious.com/ It has tons of nice recipes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast