How long does medication stay in your breast milk?
- 04-20-2011, 05:35 PM #9Registered User
- Join Date
- Apr 2011
- Hong Kong
If you are not certain about the drugs you are taking please check with a lactation consultant or a La Leche League Leader (www.lllhk.org).
The drugs paracetamol, dextromethorphan and promathezine are all fine to take while breastfeeding. Paracetamol and dextromethorphan have a lactation risk of L1 and promathezine of L2. The catagories are L1 = safest, L2 = safer,
L3 moderately safe, L4 = possibly hazardous and L5 = contraindicated. I only know of 16 drugs that are in the L5 catagory. Most drugs are fine while breastfeeding, especially if you would give a sick baby the same drug.
While there is a theoretical possibility that a decongestant could affect your milk supply I wouldn't worry too much about this unless you are already worried about the amount of milk you have.
Sarah Hung IBCLC
- By geocup in forum Feeding BabyReplies: 21Last Post: 08-24-2010, 09:28 PM
- By Gataloca in forum Hong Kong Pregnancy ForumReplies: 5Last Post: 04-23-2010, 11:30 AM
- By AG2007 in forum Feeding BabyReplies: 5Last Post: 07-26-2007, 08:51 AM
- By aussiegal in forum Everything ElseReplies: 13Last Post: 07-08-2007, 08:52 PM
- By Grace Bellis in forum Feeding BabyReplies: 9Last Post: 11-24-2003, 08:34 PM