Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Preparing Formula in HK

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User
    we use big bottles of water from the supermarket and heat (maybe liquorice meant "heat" instead of boil...) it up in order to mix with cold water so that his formula can be lukewarm to drink.

we also used to use the tap water back in london for everything but after a baby comes into the scene, our extra sensible senses shot through the roof!

Portia is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Regarding the bottled water especially for babies, the US FDA website states that you should boil bottled water for a minute as it is not sterile (

"The manufacturers of infant formula provide directions for mixing their products with water and usually do not specify the source of water other than to indicate that the water should be safe to drink. In most situations, it is safe to mix formula using ordinary cold tap water that is brought to a boil and boiled for one minute or as directed on the label of the infant formula. Some water companies wish to make available bottled waters which are marketed for infants and for use in mixing with infant formula. When manufacturers label their water as intended for infants, the water must meet the same standards established for tap water by the Environmental Protection Agency. The label must also indicate that the bottled water is not sterile. As with tap water, consumers should boil bottled water one minute before mixing with infant formula. Water that is sterilized by the manufacturer and intended for use with infants must meet certain strict FDA standards."

southside852 is offline Registered User
    when we travel, we just use spring water (evian etc...) and don't boil it. i did this for my first son and he's just fine and will do it for my 2nd son who is 6 months old now and will take his first trip in asia next weekend. my pediatrician in New York said there was no need to boil it which made our lives so much easier since our baby could drink room temp water and we didnt have to hassle with boilers and hot water on long flights etc. . .
    Last edited by southside852; 04-20-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan
    You should use distilled water, not mineral water.
    I boiled distilled water, as recommended.
    Now we have a water filter on our tap, then I boil it in our thermopot. Tap water here is gross. I would never just boil it and give it to my baby.

Biggie is offline Registered User
    Hong kong island
    We use boiled tap water for formula since newborn, also for drinking for us including toddler.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12