Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Preparing Formula in HK

monsalhotra is offline Registered User

Preparing Formula in HK

Hi Everyone

We're moving to HK in a few weeks and will be living in a serviced apartment that is relatively new with a filtration water system, however have been advised to not rely on the tap water for drinking.

My question is in regards to preparing formula for our 12 week daughter at home -- can we simply boil the tap water and use that to prepare her formula or is it better to use bottled water? Would boiling the tap water remove enough of the toxins, etc?

We're currently living in London and have always used boiled tap water, a little worried about switching to bottled water and if so, which brand of water!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    It's up to you, I know people who use tap water - there's nothing wrong with it although there are some doubts about the pipes in older buildings, honestly not sure why HK is considered special in this respect, plenty of old piping in London! We use distilled water because I don't like the taste of the HK water even in tea, you can buy it from the supermarket.

Enjoy Hong Kong!

southside852 is offline Registered User
    yep, like jvn mentioned it's totally up to you as it really depends on how old the pipes are in your building. we also moved to HK from London where we just boiled tap water. When we moved to HK, we only used bottle watered and only use bottle water when we travel around Asia as well.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Hi monsalhotra, I have always used boiled tap water. I live in the new territories though, with no concern about building pipes.

Southside, when you travel do you boil the bottled water as well? I was recently away and I bought a load of distilled water to use for formula. At first I was just using it out of the bottle, but then I was told that I needed to boil it first anyway.

carang is offline Registered User
    with my first i used bottled water, with my second i used boiled tap water. no difference to the kids. they drank it just the same...the second doesn't get sick any more often than the first.

hk's water passes all international regulations/tests. as others have said, it can come down to the pipes in the building rather than the water itself. i also think a lot has to do with past practices. if you grew up watching your mum boil water all the time, it gets ingrained in you that it needs to be boiled....even though it doesn't really.

that said, i come from canada and i hate the taste of the water here. i've been here for 16 years and only use tap water for brushing my teeth and cooking. other than that, i drink bottled. my kids, on the other hand, drink hk water all the time (we boil it though, as we live out in the sticks and the pipes are a little dodgy).

licquorice: that is ridiculous advice..... distilled water is water that has been boiled to steam and then condensed again....why would someone think you need to boil it again?

banane76 is offline Registered User
    I've heard you're not supposed to use distilled water for baby. We just boil tap water. You can also you Wildap bottled water especially made for babies, but I think it kinda gets expensive doing that way.

i used distilled water for both my kids. no problem. and personally, i don't have loads of $ to be throwing away on bottled water "created specially for babies"....i never fell in to the trap of buying things created just for babies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast