Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

HK ID card/passport for baby

AudreysMom is offline Registered User
    Jzlyn- by race my daughter is Chinese too, but she was just recently denied a HK passport and HK PR status... I hold a USA passport and my husband HK SAR passport exclusively, and I'm in HK under a dependent visa. I wonder why they denied my daughter.

inkmink is offline Registered User
    Was your daughter born in HK or overseas?

I know someone with a child born in Malaysia to Malaysian Chinese mum and HK Chinese father (HK passport holder) and the child is also denied HK passport and HK PR status.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Yes, have a hkid too for my daughter. No picture on the id card. Got it together with the birth cert and passport I recall....

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    in order to automatically get a HKID / HK Passport the child must be born in HK. from personal experience - they will not give me a HKPassport even though both my parents were born in HK as I hold a Canadian passport. they say they do not allow dual citizenship and so i need to give up Canadian passport to get the HKSAR one.

blessed is offline Registered User
    we travelled to macau with 8-month son last month with his hkid & hksar passport. he was born in hong kong and thus was granted permenant residency when we registered for his birth certificate, though both my husband and myself hold canadian passport (we are ethnic chinese). we applied for his passport & hkid at the same time which took about one month, please note the baby must be presence either during application submission OR collection.

1sttimemom is offline Registered User
    I am in same situation as lesliefu. My parents were born in HK but when I applied for an HKSAR passport ( I hold Canadian passport by birth) they asked me to prove a bunch of things - essentially that when I was born, my parents had not yet become Canadian citizens. I couldn't prove it.

My daughter is has dual citizenship because she was born in HK and Daddy is Chinese national. She has HKID but no photo + her passport. She has Canadian through me.

AudreysMom... I agree with InkMink, if your daughter was born overseas (eg US), I think they expect her to have that passport through you and thus giving her HKSAR Passport would be giving her dual citizenship.

AudreysMom is offline Registered User
    Inkmink and 1sttimemom-- yes, my daughter was born in the USA. Even though my husband holds exclusive Hk passport, they denied her! I guess I have to wait 7 years for PR status. But my second baby, due in November, is going to be delivered in Hk. Does that mean he will most likely get Hk passport and Hk PR status? I certainly hope so.
    Posted via Mobile Device

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Yes Audrey - children born to Chinese OUTSIDE of HK do not get "chinese nationality" - ONLY if they are born in HK. So your 2nd child will have PR status. Generally speaking, you can only have dual citizenship with Chinese nationality (which included HKSAR passport/3 star permanent ID) if you were BORN with the Chinese first, and got the 2nd later.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast