Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

HK ID card/passport for baby

lrpolo is offline Registered User

HK ID card/passport for baby

We're thinking of going to Macau in July, baby will be 5 months then, does she need a HKID card or a passport for this, or both?

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User
    kids under 11 year olds do not get a HKID card.

best is to get a passport for her and apply to the immigration office for a sticker which states that she is eligible for a permanent HKID card. after you get the sticker, you affix that to a blank page of the passport and you're set for macau. if the sticker doesn't come through in time then you can travel with her passport and her HK birth certificate (that's what i learnt recently too).

solidstars is offline Registered User
    my son's 2 and he has a HKID?

AND a passport.

really? hmmm....maybe it's due to the fact that the parents hold foreign passports. i got this off the immigration website:

Children under the age of 11 with their Hong Kong permanent resident status established as indicated in their Hong Kong birth certificates normally need not apply for verification of eligibility for permanent identity card. They may apply for permanent identity card directly when they reach the age of 11. Such children if holding valid foreign travel documents may apply for an endorsement to be made in their travel documents stating their eligibility for a permanent identity card verified for travel convenience. Such application can be made by way of submitting an application for verification of eligibility for permanent identity card by their parents or guardians.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    you'd have to travel with the passport anyways (though I have both for my 2 kids) since the HKID does not include a picture...when I went to Macau with my 2 kids (both under 2), even though I used the HKID for both, I had to bring along the passport as well to show them the picture on it . it is easy to get both in HK -very efficient.

to my understanding, kids who are eligible to apply for HKSAR pp can get a HKID card but not those kids with foreign pp. not sure which passports the OP holds.....
    Last edited by Aava.Wong; 04-20-2011 at 03:42 PM.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    you're right about that...it DOES depend on whether you hold a foreign passport....
    dossier likes this.

Jzlyn is offline Registered User
    my husband & i both hold foreign passports and work visas but because by race i'm chinese our daughter was offered hk pr status. she is 2 months old and has a hkid card, hk passport and home return card (applied bacause we are heading to sanya for a holiday next month.
    dossier likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast