Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Travel with New baby- Immigration/ Visa Q.

kip1 is offline Registered User

We are planning to travel in May, our baby will be 3 months. We will just have his passport but what do we need from Immigration to be able to travel? Are we able to travel with just his passport and birth certificate or do we need a sticker in the passport from Immigration?

Just to add - neither parent is a permanent resident. I've read on here other questions about this but all were PR.

carang is offline Registered User
    you need to apply for a dependent visa for your baby! you better do that asap!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    My baby was bornhere in HK at the start of February, and my husband just got sent some paper 'allowing' baby to stay in HK. It's good for a year. We are both temp residents. We are supposed to show it to immigration when we travel with our baby. I think you should call the births registry office or immigration and ask about this kind of document. We haven't applied for a dependent visa for my baby(but we are leaving soon anyway).

I know we need to get a dependent visa but we've been waiting for citizenship certificate so we can apply for passport. The dependent visa application form asks for passport number etc. I'm just wondering if we can leave HK and our baby get stamped as visitor on the way back in. If we get his passport done as priority processing we can have the visa application in but doubt it will be ready in 3 weeks. Not sure?

dueJuly is offline Registered User

We were able to travel with our baby before getting her visa in her passport.
    We needed to show her original birth certificate as well as her passport. It took a few more minutes as they checked on the computer for something, not sure what.

Don't what nationality you are, but I believe if your country is granted an automatic tourist visa on entry (or re-entry in this case) it shouldn't be a problem.

charade is offline Registered User
    jvn, I am pasting the reply I got from immigration to this same query:

If both you and your spouse are not HK permanent residents, the form ID235B was issued with your child's HK birth certificate by the Birth Registry to indicate his stay in HK.
    If your child has a separate travel document now, you may consider transferring the visa label from his/her ID235B to his/her new passport.
    Transfer of endorsement:-
    Application shall be submitted to the Extension Section, 5/F Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong with the following documents:
    (i) applicant's birth certificate (original and copy);
    (ii) applicant's travel document (original and copy);
    (iii) copy of sponsor's (father/mother) travel document;
    (iv) copy of parents' marriage certificate;
    (v) form ID235B
    The fee for application for transfer of an endorsement to a travel document is HK$165.
    In general, the baby no need to attend in person and the transfer of endorsement can be completed within the same day. However, it requires the baby to be in HK when the application is submitted and issue of the endorsement.

So basically, once you have your passport, all you need is one day to transfer this sticker. I'd encourage you to email Immigration directly. They reply within TWO HOURS and these are proper replies not the automated ones. I am a huge fan of HK Immigration!