Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What to buy on trip the US ?!?

appletree123 is offline Registered User

do you need car seats for toddlers in Hong Kong? I guess for the taxi rides?

Biggie is offline Registered User

And if you care for brand name outfits like Polo, Gap. Crib sheets, bumpers (I couldn't find nice ones here and there were loads of choices on amazon), American versions of baby books.
    Posted via Mobile Device

southside852 is offline Registered User

car seats are not mandatory in taxis in HK (same in singapore), but if you have a stroller than can attach one, then that's definitely the better/safer option for traveling around with a baby.

honestly, whenever someone comes over to visit from the states they bring - something from the States for us - carters pjs, pottery barn storage bins, bed sheets, towels w/hoods, swim suits, wall stickers for kids bedrooms, kitchen supplies (cooking utensils etc..). Anything name brand - Cuisinart, Wustof, Pottery Barn, LL Bean, Lands End, Ralph Lauren etc...wil be so much cheaper in the States. Of there is Stanley Market for some of the children's clothing, but selection will be different etc....

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Don't forget to buy stuff for when the baby is a bit older. 6 months goes by fast and then there's the whole new world of weaning, sippy cups, etc. It's soooooooo much cheaper there, and believe me, you will end up buying a lot of paraphanelia.

AndreaSB is offline Registered User

As everyone says, US is way cheaper than HK. Everything. I compared some specific prices and for some things the HK mark up is 100% of US price. Just an example, a JJ Cole swaddle wrap sells at Mothercare for HK$199. US price is equivalent to HK$90. Ridiculous. Definitely get the bigger things, but clothes are worth it too. You can shop at places like Babies R Us and Buy Buy Baby that have many different things and brands in one location. Careful with electronics though. It's not as simple as changing the plug. The voltage itself has to be compatible. Some items will work in 120v only and if you were to change the plug an plug it in in HK they would fry. Others say 120v~240v (look at the box) and those will work here too with an adaptor (I always prefer that option than changing original plugs). Getting items that require an electricity converter/transformer are just more of a pain I think, and if ever plugged in directly... dead. The UK is a good alternative for electronics if you can get from there. Our monitor retails at $1800 in HK but got it in Amazon UK for $800. If there are things you already KNOW you want you can have them shipped to where you're staying and save you the trouble- we did that with the stroller and a bunch of Carter's clothes.

Happy shopping! :)

thanka2 is offline Registered User

If you plan to breastfeed get everything you can in the US. I use lansinoh cream and my husband bought a tube of it at Mothercare and it was the equivalent of $21 USD here in HK. Guess how much it costs in the US. $7 USD/tube! My mom is here visiting and she brought me a few tubes.

Also, the selection and quality of nursing bras is much, much better than HK. Good quality electric breastpumps (like Medela) are cheaper and there is much more selection. Also other things to look into: nipple shields, breast shells etc. As well as nursing shawls like the Bebe Au Lait.

Also, I think that the US has a lot better selection of strollers and the baby clothing is nicer and cheaper. I also bought our pack n play in the States and brought it back in the box. I don't know how much room you'll have in your luggage but you can know that everything you buy in the States will probably be much cheaper than HK--as well as offer you more selection and possibly better quality. :) Have fun shopping!

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

md23 is offline Registered User

Medela pump is good, its adapter is 110-240V. Same for summer infant baby monitor. However, Angelcare baby monitor's adapter can only be used in 110V.

Also bring a lot of baby clothes, they don't take much space in your luggage. For toys, the price difference is really large, but they are so big it ain't worth it.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I prefer to buy clothes here. If you go to local shops, markets and factory outlets, you spend very little. And for viand name too. In fact, I have been buying clothes here just to send back to Canada as we are moving there soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast