Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby stopped eating!

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Baby stopped eating!

Just looking for some reassuring words....my 6.5 month old started solids a month ago. We started her on one meal of rice cereal mixed with BM a day - then started to add different veggies and fruits. She's a bit of a picky eater and rejected some veggies while likes others. About a week and a half ago, we added in a second meal and she was eating a good amount. However, she completely rejected her meal friday night and yesterday refused to eat both meals! She would turn her head and not open her mouth. I think it is because her top two teeth are coming out. I see a bit of white coming out and she really likes to bite her teethers (though she's always liked to put things in her mouth so I'm not sure that the two teeth are making her want her teethers more). She isn't really showing any other signs of irritability nor is her sleep affected (thank god). But since she is already light weight I'm worried about this not eating thing. She's also decided she doesn't really like the bottle - she used to be able to take 5-6oz in a bottle of either BM or formula - but now will start refusing the bottle after 2-3 oz - though she will take the breast afterwards. When I put her to the breast she is still feeding well. I know that this is probably just a phase - but am just looking for mom's with similar experience who's baby's started eating again.....thanks!!

One more question - do you thunk I should keep offering her food at meal times or just forget it and skip solids for the rest of the long weekend and start again fresh on Tuesday. Thanks all and Happy Easter!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I think you should trust your instincts, as it sounds like it might be a teething thing, especially if she's turning to you for more comfort. Babies also are like us-sometimes they are less hungry than other times.
    I would continue offering her usual meals, just in case. And I wouldn't worry about her weight. Milk is still the main part of her diet. Less solids won't really affect much right now.

Frenchy is offline Registered User

I wouldn't worry too much, as long as she sleeps well and she is not fussy, appetite goes up and down for babies like for adults, plus they have to go through the teething and the growing !
    My daughter has some day without appetite too, I just make sure it does not last more than 3 days, so I just give her small amounts of food, but more often, even if it has to be only her favorite (like yogourts or fruit puree), but she is 9 months.
    Maybe just reduce the solids for a few days, compensate on milk, and you'll see if maybe she was constipated, or teething, or a cold coming...

1sttimemom is offline Registered User

Not sure if this will help, and a lot of great advice here already, but my LO sometimes doesn't want to eat her veggies (she loves her fruits), so I distract her a little with a son, a bowl with some finger foods ...and I manage to get her to eat her veggies! :) Just no TV :)

gpjapan is offline Registered User

Teething! my daughter went through the same and she was fine in a few days.

Leta is offline Registered User

Hi futureHKmom, no worries my gal is the same!! She will always go through a phase of food strike when she is teething :) I was like you too worry abt her little intake of food and milk. Even during her normal days she also eats little. But I still continue to cook for her and let her decide how much she wants. In fact I try to consistently change the food menu :) in hopeful to catch her appetite. Hope this helps to comfort u a bit :) meanwhile I also learn to make the feeding time a fun loving time and not keep worrying abt the amt of food she takes.

Thanks all! Day 3 of no eating. Won't even have more than 2 teaspoonfuls of her favorite pumpkin. Hopefully she'll get over the soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast