Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Getting to hospital

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    actually, thanka, if you call for a cab, they can refuse you simply by no driver accepting the call. it doesn't work like it does "at home".

no, they will not guarantee a taxi. just tell them you will pay $100 for the fare and you might get someone, but honestly, i've NEVER not been able to get a taxi on hk island...
    He he he...actually my "at home" doesn't have taxis so I've never called for a taxi in the States--have absolutely no experience with it. But...with the taxi company we contact out where we live in HK the company assigns the driver and they do show up.

brrcl, I'm going to PM you a number of a dependable, highly recommended red taxi driver who probably can help you arrange for a driver on the day you go into labor. I will give you details in the PM.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Junebugwhite is offline Registered User

So good to read that someone else has the same worry! We are moving into Pacific View middle of May, I am due mid July and delivering at Matilda. My husband laughed at me when I expressed worry about being able to get a taxi, etc. when the time comes. I even thought of having us rent a car for the last two weeks if the baby does not come early and having hubby drive us, but that could be even scarier! :)

carang is offline Registered User

honestly, i think that you ladies are worried about something that you don't really need to be worried about.

laial is offline Registered User

i think taxi is probably the easiest way, and shouldn't be a problem if you offer a healthy tip when you are booking them and let them know you're in labour. management in your building should be able to help.

also we were told at our antenatal class that if you want an ambulance to take you to a private hospital, you need to get a letter from your obstetrician to say that you take all responsibility and that you want to go to the Canossa. otherwise it is the ambulance's responsibility to take you to the nearest public hospital (which might be Queen Mary - and may not be such a bad thing if it was a real emergency like a big haemorrhage or something).

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by laial View Post
    i think taxi is probably the easiest way, and shouldn't be a problem if you offer a healthy tip when you are booking them and let them know you're in labour. management in your building should be able to help.

also we were told at our antenatal class that if you want an ambulance to take you to a private hospital, you need to get a letter from your obstetrician to say that you take all responsibility and that you want to go to the Canossa. otherwise it is the ambulance's responsibility to take you to the nearest public hospital (which might be Queen Mary - and may not be such a bad thing if it was a real emergency like a big haemorrhage or something).
    the "protocol" for ambulances in the south side is Rutonjee and then after they decide what your condition is, they will send you off to the "right" hospital...they wanted to send my daughter there when she had convulsions - even though the DO NOT have a pediatric ward! only when my pedi asked if the driver wanted to be responsible for my daughter did they send her to Pamela Youde in Chai Wan.

Anyhow - taxi is easiest - they will come with a good tip! :) no need to worry about anything - it doens't normally happen so fast with the first one! all the best!

newhkmommy is offline Registered User

i would be very careful about an ambulance even if you have a letter. i passed out at a shoppe in central and the ambulance refused to take me to queen mary or matilda. afterwards, i got letters from both hospitals that i carried with me all the time but the doctors warned me that the ambulance drivers may very well ignore the letters. just a note of caution ... the law is that they should take you to the nearest public hospital.

in my case, i got off the stretcher, signed a release and got in a taxi -- i wasn't worried about the scratches/bleeding on my face but was worried about baby, and knew i needed to get to a hospital with an ob service.

burrcl is offline Registered User

Thank you ladies, a few ideas there for me, and the mention of a large tip to the person on the end of the phone will probably secure what we need! We're usually loathe to do that as we think it's a complete con, and are normally willing to walk around until we find a taxi (we don't live right on the main road and have to walk 5 mins down a steep hill to get to it, and all passing traffic), but I think this might warrant a special case!

carang is offline Registered User

sadly, the baby isn't born the minute labour starts. you, generally, have HOURS and HOURS (not always of course) until the baby's actual arrival. finding some form of transport to the hospital should not be a problem, no matter the time of day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast