Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Getting to hospital

burrcl is offline Registered User

Getting to hospital

I have a perhaps irrational fear, but perhaps you could help put my mind (and more to the point my husband's mind) at ease. I'm due end of July, and giving birth at the Canossa. We live on Conduit Road. A perhaps stupid question, but how do people get to hospital?! We don't have a car, and my husband's main fear is that we need to get there at 4 am or the like, and can't get a cab (or rush hour). We don't have any friends with cars here, and were told that if we call an ambulance it will take us to a public hospital. I've been saying to him that as it's a first I don't think we'll have any worries time wise, and if we do then to ring up the cab company and offer $100 for a journey they normally wouldn't be interested in taking. It's a journey we could normally walk in 10 minutes max but I don't think that will be an option either!
    Do the private hospitals have ambulances? I think it's only just really come to mind as we've just started antenatal classes and got us thinking... I'll ask the Doc too when I next see him, but just wondered what people did.
    Back in the UK we'd have our car, or the ambulance would take us where we needed to go, but not sure how it all works here.
    Many thanks,
    Claire

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    taking the cab would be easiest - what i would be is get the numbers for a local cab company (your management office should have it) and then when it happens, you can either call OR if have your management office call one for you...that's what your paying management fees for right?!? a little service! i'm sure if you let them know ahead of time that's what you'll be doing they will be more than willing to help! good luck!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I don't know how far Conduit Road is away from Canossa but I think most women take a taxi to the hospital and if this is your first baby the likelihood that you're going to give birth so quickly that you won't have time to make it is pretty low statistically. Most first babies mean at least 10 or more hours in labor (in my case it was much more than that). You can also call a transport company and rent a van. I don't think you're going to have that many problems--especially if you give a nice tip. And whether they want to or not, if you call to book a taxi at 4 am, then they will send a taxi to you--it's not the taxi driver's choice if he is sent out on a call from his company AND if they give you any grief just tell him you'll call 999 and report him to the police--you shouldn't have any problems so it is probably an irrational fear.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Neha is offline Banned
    Depends upon which building u live on conduit Rd. It is practically 5-10 mins max to Canossa

burrcl is offline Registered User
    Thanks, we were thinking taxi was easiest, but quite often when we ring for one (we call 2861 1011 or 2527 8524) and they put a call out on the radio, no drivers want the fare - either because none are around or we assume the fare is too small for them to bother (they always seem to take the longer fares over $18!) Because we know we are so close to the hospital I think we just fear that no-one will want the fare. Are there other numbers I could use that guarantee they will send someone then?
    Thank you

carang is offline Registered User
    actually, thanka, if you call for a cab, they can refuse you simply by no driver accepting the call. it doesn't work like it does "at home".

no, they will not guarantee a taxi. just tell them you will pay $100 for the fare and you might get someone, but honestly, i've NEVER not been able to get a taxi on hk island...

rani is offline Administrator
    You won't have a problem finding a taxi at 4am. Don't worry. Also, if your water breaks at home it takes a while for your contractions. My water broke at 7am. I had breakfast, a shower and went to the hospital after 9am and wasn't in any pain. I was only 3cm dilated when I reached the hospital.
    Founder of GeoBaby.Com

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    if no one responds at the taxi station you can always say you are willing to pay extra money, say $10..normally that will work...particularly since you are so close to canossa

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast