Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hong Kong English accent?

penguinsix is offline Registered User

Hong Kong English accent?

Was just curious if anyone has noticed a rather odd mish-mash English accent from their children given the international nature (Australian, British, Canadian, Filipino, etc) of teachers and care-givers? We noticed our son says a few words slightly different than we do, though we have American accents so it's probably a bit more noticeable, but I was wondering if others noticed odd accents and inflections with their kids as well?

carang is offline Registered User
    i didn't notice it until i went to canada.... then i could compare their accents to their cousins...definitely not the same.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    My 2 year old says "-ah" a lot at the end of some words, like "mommy-ah", like the local kids do. When he's angry and yelling gibberish, it sounds like he's speaking Cantonese. I rather like it all. It's cute

ssheng is offline Registered User
    Mine isn't speaking quite yet, but I have noticed this in other toddlers. Actually mostly I hear a Filipino accent in their English because at the toddler stage, they spend most of the day with their helpers or in playgroups listening to helpers. I was worried about this as my toddler is a bit of a late speaker - they say bilingual households tend to produce late speakers, so I figured hearing multiple accents all the time might do the same. But I think it all works out in the end. Once they are in school, anyway, they will pick up the most common accent of their peers, I would think...

ozmerc is offline Registered User
    I can't hear my son's accent because I'm so used to it, but my family back home think it's quite funny. Both myself and my husband have different accents so he doesn't have any one single accent to pick up. My mother has commented that he sounds like a Filipina sometimes, but he doesn't spend all day with a helper. Now that he is at kindergarten I think it will change a bit - sometimes he says words with a slightly Hong Kong Chinese accent, probably because his kindergarten is 99% chinese. I've also noticed he occasionally picks up some common English grammatical errors found in HK, but I don't worry as I figure it will resolve as he gets older. My husband has a very 'international' hybrid accent due to his living all over, so I suspect our children will as well.

kiwiinoz is offline Registered User
    I don't know what the definitive HK accent is, but our kids (Aussies) have a hybrid mix ... lots of rolling of R's from the American influence (eg Carrrr instead of Ka) and British (daance instead of dance) plus the Aussie/Kiwi mixed in as well. When we're overseas people think our daughter is American. My husband keeps trying to correct them to the Aussie pronunciations, but I don't see a problem as I know they'll get it back when we move back there one day.

carang is offline Registered User
    my cousin moved from the uk to canada when he was 4... he lost his british accent by the time he finished first grade. but he has retained his british vocabulary, thanks to his brit mummy...

as for "correcting" the accent? personally, i don't think it's necessary. there are myriad ways to pronounce things, doesn't make one "right" and one "wrong".

geomum is offline Registered User
    as for "correcting" the accent? personally, i don't think it's necessary. there are myriad ways to pronounce things, doesn't make one "right" and one "wrong".

SO TRUE!!! Stop worrying. BTW Aussies are thought to have the worse accent and most difficult to understand alongside the Irish of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast