Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Nasty nurses

Biggie is offline Registered User

Most waiters are quite nice and definitely very efficient for most of the restaurants I go to here. I guess if I had a bad service experience I just dont go back. And tips is not a factor cos they only get that at the end. In new york city and London, waiters are horrible and incompetent, or just so pretentious like they are doing you a favor for letting you dine in their fab restaurant. Maybe suburban or rural places the people are nicer
    Posted via Mobile Device

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Most waiters are quite nice and definitely very efficient for most of the restaurants I go to here. I guess if I had a bad service experience I just dont go back. And tips is not a factor cos they only get that at the end. In new york city and London, waiters are horrible and incompetent, or just so pretentious like they are doing you a favor for letting you dine in their fab restaurant. Maybe suburban or rural places the people are nicer
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Ah, we must run in different circles. I only eat in local restaurants. As someone who worked as a waitress for years, I can tell you that tips do matter--at least in places where they are usually received. It is probably true that outside of the major US cities, people are much nicer. But, having said that, tipping is a countrywide phenomenon in the States and if you get crappy service you can voice your opinion with a crappy tip--at least you do have some power there. Depending on the laws of the state, tips can mean the difference between paying your bills and not paying them (in some states like Florida, the restaurant does not have to pay the staff minimum wage because they receive tips). Well, glad you've found some decent waitstaff in HK. Now, how about taxi drivers? :)
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Biggie is offline Registered User

Maybe even within hk there's a difference in service level depending on the area. I mostly go to local restaurants in causeway bay. Cab drivers I agree is more of a mix bag. My experience is 50/50 nice versus rude ones. There are rude reckless ones, but I've also had many nice drivers who would get out of the car to help me with strollers etc.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Leta is offline Registered User

Hi.. I agree that in the other service industries, you can also meet nasty waitress or sales who really turn you off. But having to work as a nurse ESP in an OB's clinic, I thought their attitudes shd be of more caring and with more thoughtfulness. But NO they are working like a robot ;( sad to say that

banane76 is offline Registered User

The doctor should definitely know that her staff is not up to par. That is ethically wrong for a nurse to tell you that you have miscarried when she is NOT your doctor and she isn't qualified to say that when she hasn't examined you. I would either go somewhere else if you're not happy and write a letter to that clinic. My doctor was great and the nurses were good too. When I called in to book an appt because I had spotting early on, they tried to get me in as soon as they could.

AndreaSB is offline Registered User

At my practice I can call/email the midwives if I have any concerns. They are great. If it's serious then the OB will get involved. She simply doesn't have the time to deal with EVERY little thing and I fully understand that. She has an extremely busy schedule and lots of worried mums. I guess it depends on what practice you choose and also whether they are Chinese or western.

Gracey is offline Registered User

Leta -- I had several first-trimester scares, including bleeding and loss of fluid.
    And, thank God, I moved from my small one-doctor clinic to the clinic of a big hospital, Baptist.
    While Baptist has its faults, its nursing staff were GREAT every time I had a problem. I could call at any time and get good advice. When there was any chance of a problem, they "squeezed me in" at the last minute -- they did this on three occasions. And once, when I had an episode at an odd time, a staff member called me at home and told me to go to the hospital's 24-hour outpatient clinic.
    The nurses remember me personally every time I go in -- which is something, since they have SO many patients.
    I think this is because of economies of scale. The prenatal unit has 3-4 full-time docs who are there all the time and what looks like a dozen nurses / receptionists. They can shuffle to make time and space.

As for service in HK -- it's certainly not as gracious as it is in other places. This is a place that prizes speed and efficiency above all else. But I rarely find it very rude. 90% of cabbies will go slowly over speed bumps for me if I say I'm pregnant. I don't have problems at local restaurants, even cheap take-out, rice-box places.
    I think it's also the customer's demenor. I speak fluent Cantonese and I'm a naturally polite / soft-spoken person, and it usually works. And I tip. Even a small tip will go a long way if you're a regular somewhere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12