Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nasty nurses

Leta is offline Registered User

Nasty nurses

This is just to share my experiences with some nurses at my ob's clinic. I will not name the clinic as my ob is a very nice lady and my aunt personal friend.. But the attitude of her nurses really pissed me off.. So would like to share and wonder if anyone faced such experiences like mine..

During my 1st pregnancy, I have some brown discharges in my wk 8 or so. Being a 1st time mom, I was definitely worried and anxious so I just popped into my Ob's clinic without any Appt. I went in there as early as it opens preparing to wait till all her appts are over or when there is a slot for me. I was not able to call in to make any appt coz i discovered the discharges during evening time the night before.

When I arrived there and explained my situation, I was taken aback by the nurse's reply. She said that doctor is fully booked and that I should have went straight to the hospital. And she even said that I have a miscarriage! What she said really make me feel even more terrified and anxious!!

I feel so upset about it.. I mean how can she make such comment when she is not the doctor. It was really very irresponsible of her. It really scared the hell out of me.

In the end, I have to call my ob directly and then the nurse said to me that she will arrange for me to see her but I need to wait till there is a slot.

And now in my 2nd pregnancy, again I had an unpleasant experiences. I was trying to make my 1st Appt with my OB when I am in wk 8, so I tried booking through the clinic but was told that she is totally booked till mid June. But I managed to speak to my OB personally and she asked me to let her nurse know that she wanted me to go in mid may during my wk 9. So I called! But was told off by the nurse that I dun need to let them know since I made my own arrangement with my OB. I was really upset and do not understand why the nurses are always so rude.

Any sharing?

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Sorry to hear about your bad experiences! I've never had such an experience but if I did, I would tell my OB right away!

Leta is offline Registered User
    Yep... :( my situation is a bit different..where my OB over here will only help me to monitor my Bb development.. And when I am nearing my due date I will go back to Singapore for delivery coz my family is there to help me with confinement and so on

Therefore I feel I cannot asked for more since my OB is doing this favor for my Aunty in taking care of me :(

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I think you're asking a question that no one can answer. Why are the nurses rude? Why are most of the professionals in HK rude might be a better question to ask? I would say the answer is A) there is no incentive or reward for being polite in this city B) they don't get paid to be kind and smile at you--customer service in HK isn't what it is in other places.

In my first pregnancy, I found out I was pregnant and I also had spotting so I went to the OBGyn that I knew of (I was newly back in HK and this was the only doctor I had been to--my mother-in-law introduced me)--the lady didn't do much to help comfort me. She spoke to me like a robot and after my pregnancy was confirmed there was no "Congratulations" or even a smile--she coldly said, "Put your clothes back on and come into my office." Then she proceeded to overwhelm me with information and scare the daylights out of me about all the possible diseases and defects my child might have and how I have to get tested, blah, blah, blah.

This is the same lady who told me when I finally started to gain weight in my second trimester (I was so sick in my first that I lost weight) that I was getting "too fat" and that I'd better be careful because I would have to "lose all the weight after the baby is born." Her concern about me gaining weight was purely cosmetic--because I would "look bad." It wasn't like, "You had better be careful because if you gain too much weight you could develop gestational diabetes" or something like that. And actually, my weight gain was totally appropriate at that point so...

Also, after going back to the States to give birth (and doing so completely naturally, without drugs, after 43 hours of labor and an 8 pound+ baby) and then returning to HK, I had to go in for a checkup and I told her that I gave birth naturally (because she asked) and she scoffed at me and rolled her eyes like, "Yeah...whatever." Can you guess why I refer to this doctor as "the crabby lady"?

Why did I go to her for so long? Well...I tried other "name brand" doctors in HK and they were either outrageously expensive or even more rude than this lady. (one "name brand" doctor in HK yelled at me for so long during a consultation that I left there in tears). The "crabby lady" was cheaper than most doctors and she wasn't as busy as most doctors (probably because she has such a cold attitude) so I didn't have to wait.

The thing is, after my experiences with the HK Maternity system what I've learned is that you can't hang all your trust on the doctors or their nurses here. You can't let them affect you. Unfortunately, you can't walk into their office and just trust that they're going to treat you well. You can't take what they say for 100%.

I look at the whole thing as if they are all just advisers, I am hiring to give me advice--if I want to take their advice, I will. If I don't think their advice is worth much, I go somewhere else for different advice. If they or their staff give me attitude, I give it right back to them in the same proportion. You are not paying them to be walked on by them--especially in the private clinics.

So, the next time one of the nurses gives you attitude, just correct them. I had to do that the last time I was at the public hospital and the nurse was barking orders at me like, "You, sit there, now!" I turned to her and said, "You need to ask politely by saying 'please'." She looked at me with total surprise. See, some of these workers have never been taught any manners because no one ever corrects them when they're rude--they get away with it. If the problem persists, take down the nurses' name and tell the doctor about it or even better, write a formal letter to the doctor explaining that she needs to hire staff with better customer service skills. Sometimes, making those same nurses lose face (or their job, if they don't stop being rude) is the only way for them to learn.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Jzlyn is offline Registered User
    Agree with what thanka mention re general rudeness of professionals in HK

That said, I also wanted to highlight there are exceptions. Dr Edmund Hon and his team of nurses (****y and Cody) are absolute joy. He is patient, took time in answering and explaining any question we had, didn't try to scare us with numbers and stats. The nurses were pleasant and efficient and always tried to slot me in when I needed an 'emergency' consult. As for charges I think his is the lower end of the recommended drs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by Jzlyn View Post
    Agree with what thanka mention re general rudeness of professionals in HK

That said, I also wanted to highlight there are exceptions. Dr Edmund Hon and his team of nurses (****y and Cody) are absolute joy. He is patient, took time in answering and explaining any question we had, didn't try to scare us with numbers and stats. The nurses were pleasant and efficient and always tried to slot me in when I needed an 'emergency' consult. As for charges I think his is the lower end of the recommended drs.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    True, there are exceptions. Thankfully! :)
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

Biggie is offline Registered User
    But I have to say all other people in service industry and even government dept are MUCH more polite and pleasant than those I have come across in US and UK
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    But I have to say all other people in service industry and even government dept are MUCH more polite and pleasant than those I have come across in US and UK
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Really? Even the waitstaff? When they don't receive tips and get paid $30 HKD/hour? Hmmm.... Where are you from? As far as the government goes--the whole government is just more streamlined and efficient--I do have to give HK a round of applause for that.

Mother of Two

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast