Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kids friendly dentists

oreomama is offline Registered User

Kids friendly dentists

Dear mummies,

Any recommendations on kids-friendly dentists? Preferably somewhere near Shatin. I am planning a visit to dentist for my 3.5yo and 2 yo boys, just a routine check-up.

Thanks for any links!

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Denise Gilles in Central is great.

carang is offline Registered User
    went to her and she WAS great... until she recommended $40,000 worth of work to be done on my 5 year old son... then, when i said that there was no way we could afford that...never heard from her again! we needed a letter from her to present to the public dentist which she seemed unwilling to write for us.... she also refused to consider doing the work in her office with just the local anesthetic, instead insisting we needed to book into the Baptist hospital so he would undergo general anesthesia which is why it would come to $40,000!

so, what did i do instead? booked my son and i on a cheap flight to bangkok, into a nice apartment hotel and an appointment with a great dentist at Bumrungrad Hospital.... total cost for our 11 day trip including spending money? $20,000!!!!!!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    went to her and she WAS great... until she recommended $40,000 worth of work to be done on my 5 year old son... then, when i said that there was no way we could afford that...never heard from her again! we needed a letter from her to present to the public dentist which she seemed unwilling to write for us.... she also refused to consider doing the work in her office with just the local anesthetic, instead insisting we needed to book into the Baptist hospital so he would undergo general anesthesia which is why it would come to $40,000!

so, what did i do instead? booked my son and i on a cheap flight to bangkok, into a nice apartment hotel and an appointment with a great dentist at Bumrungrad Hospital.... total cost for our 11 day trip including spending money? $20,000!!!!!!

Good to know, good to know. Thanks for sharing.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

1stimemum is offline Registered User
    carang, how did you find this dentist in bkk? i know Bumrungrad Hospital is THE hospital in BKK and everyone from HK who goes to BKK goes there but do you just get any dentist or did you already know someone?

how does it work? how do you book in advance?

i'm really keen to explore this medical option but not sure where to start

no, they assigned the pediatric dentist to my son. they showed him the room, the instruments, gave him a mirrror to watch what was happening, let me sit on the end of the bed to hold his hand (he had a ROOT CANAL!)...

I booked in advance. i also sent them the information i got from the dentist here. when we got there, we had a first appt at which the dentist got x-rays (the dentist here wasn't able to get them). he did 1/2 of the work right then and there. then made an appt for a few days later to finish the rest of the work. we went back a third time to check to see if the crown "superman tooth" was fitting properly.

when i booked and sent the information, they recommended i spend at least 9-10 days in bkk just in case we had to do things the way they wanted to in hk.

we booked the adelphi suites hotel which was only 5 minutes away from the hospital. it also had a proper kitchen with stove top, fridge, microwave so that we could cook in if we didn't feel like going out. they also had a small roof-top pool. would DEFINITELY stay there again if we go with the kids....

to book in advance, you go to their website and they will email back to you. overall, would defintely do that again if any of us had major work to do!

oreomama is offline Registered User
    Hi Carang,

thanks for sharing! what an experience...
    hope that all is well now. my elder boy is sort of diagnosed to have underbite by a Beijing dentist, but we do not find it that obvious and feel like getting a 2nd opinion here. If it's confirmed, we may like to get involved earlier for orthodontist for correction at a suitable time.. when his adult teeth just formed.

our son has another huge cavity forming.. i've been putting off taking him, but i really need to do it soon as i'm afraid if i leave it too much longer, he will need another root canal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast