Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Cebu holiday in May end - safety, heath & weather?

pinki09 is offline Registered User

Cebu holiday in May end - safety, heath & weather?

Dear Friends,

Need some inputs- we are planning a 4-day trip to Cebu in May end. Me @ 6.5 mth preggers, hubby & our 20 MO.
    1. After the series of terrorist attacks across Philippines last yr, is it safe to travel to Cebu?
    2. How well are the health norms for food/water etc? We would be at Shang. Do we need bottled water even for brushing teeth etc? What is the arrangement for boiling water to make baby milk? Would UHT tetrapaks be better off than taking milk powder? For me, I would avoid outside food, but I assume water/food in the hotel is doable.
    3. Whats the weather like in May end? Is it scorching hot or typhoon season with torrential rainfall? Coz either would be a bummer.
    4. We plan to be just in the resort, is it wholesome enough with beach + kid activities for us to be in there for 4 days? How is the beach like? Clear waters? White sand beach? Or like the HK beaches? Btw, went to sheko on sunday and it was lovely!
    5. Lastly, is it safe to travel 2-3 hrs by road, coz we have heard very good reviews about Kawasan waterfalls, but really worried about the safety...

Any inputs would be very helpful. Also, any other close by getaways ? Phuket is rainy, Lankawi is a non-direct flight, KK I am not sure coz no beach, Sanya we have already been 2 yrs ago, and didnt like too much, Bali is 5 hrs flight..I would prefer within 3-4 hrs, SG, hubby doesnt want to go as he keeps travelling thr for work, Beijing would be a lot of walking around and I need to relax @ 6.5 mths preggers :D too many constraints I guess! Still if you can suggest something, please do let me know..
    Thanks in advance :)

matemate is offline Registered User
    some comments below

Quote Originally Posted by pinki09 View Post
    1. After the series of terrorist attacks across Philippines last yr, is it safe to travel to Cebu?
    sorry i must havea missed that one. when were there any major terrorist attacks in the Phils? CEBU has never been an issue in the last 10 years, so no worries on this one
    2. How well are the health norms for food/water etc? We would be at Shang. Do we need bottled water even for brushing teeth etc? What is the arrangement for boiling water to make baby milk? Would UHT tetrapaks be better off than taking milk powder? For me, I would avoid outside food, but I assume water/food in the hotel is doable.
    water should be fine. again we never had any issues at 5* hotels in the whole of philippines. for our kid, we boiled the water and no issues at a../
    3. Whats the weather like in May end? Is it scorching hot or typhoon season with torrential rainfall? Coz either would be a bummer.
    4. We plan to be just in the resort, is it wholesome enough with beach + kid activities for us to be in there for 4 days? How is the beach like? Clear waters? White sand beach? Or like the HK beaches? Btw, went to sheko on sunday and it was lovely!
    5. Lastly, is it safe to travel 2-3 hrs by road, coz we have heard very good reviews about Kawasan waterfalls, but really worried about the safety...
    again, should not be an issue.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Hi

We went to Cebu when we had an 18 month old and I was 6 months pregnant (in Oct). We took a lot of food with us - mainly snacks for our toddler and us and some bottled water but just as a back up as the hotels give you bottled water every day. We took some tetra pack milk with us and also boiled some. Food at the hotel was fine (we stayed at the Hilton) and our toddler ate breakfast at the buffet and we ordered room service lunch and dinner for him (mainly soups and things like that).

Beach at the Hilton was average. Bit dirty I thought. Have heard that the Shang is nicer and cleaner. Maybe have a look on the trip advisor site for reviews from parents. We didn't leave the hotel and was a bit boring for us. The Hilton not well set up for kids with the pools as they are all deep and no shallow ones so wouldn't go back with a toddler. Again, the Shang may be better for this but is certainly something I will give more thought about next time!

pinki09 is offline Registered User
    Thank you Matemate & Starbucks2 :-)

I am very bullish on shang cebu...however, do have thoughts of Sentosa too, though it will be very similar to HK, and not really a get away...i am super tired with things at my end...serving my notice period at work, and have a lot to be completed before may 3rd week, when I am done with the professional front for the time being. So, i am looking fwd to a truly relaxing holiday...coz it'll be just for 4D/#N, and then i wouldnt get one for a long time, plus I dont think I should be doing a non-relaxing holiday @ 6.5 months preggers...

btw, is May 20-24 generally a low season in cebu? coz I dont want the resort to be too quiet...it would be nice to see other bubs playing around, whom my 20 MO can candidly join in.
    Also, are mosquitos a nuisance to be taken care of? coz I dont want to be down with any kind illness at this stage of pregnancy, that too, away from HK..

Thanks Again!