Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How to keep mosquitos away from cot?

southside852 is offline Registered User
    patches should be sold at drugstores like Guardian, Watsons etc....

Biggie is offline Registered User
    You can find patched everywhere, even in supermarkets. They are near the repellent sprays. Those didn't work for us though, perhaps the mos in our area are too tough. :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

taysty is offline Registered User
    Will try out the patches for sure. Find the noise from the device bit annoying.

kiwiinoz is offline Registered User
    The yellow patches didn't work for us, which is why we use the blue tiger balm ones. We get them from Watsons. They last around 24 hours and seem to work in most areas of Hong Kong although over the southside we normally also put the roll-on repellant on our children's legs to give them that extra protection as both are somewhat allergic to Mosquito's and from experience I can tell you an infection from a mozzie bite in a toddler is NOT fun to deal with.
    Nothing is a perfect solution, but hopefully you'll find something that works for you eventually.

Thank you to all.

jeffmama is offline Registered User
    i did have the same problem before (used patches, pest repeller...etc all fail) but stop it for 1 week till now after using the Florida Water.

Add boiled water (3 times) with the Floraida Water into a spray bottle. Do spraying just like a air purifrier to the bedroom esp around the cot. also put some on my baby legs and arms... it works also outdoor when i bring my son to park as well. now i buy a portable spray bottle and fill some floria water into it, always keep one in my handbag

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmama View Post
    i did have the same problem before (used patches, pest repeller...etc all fail) but stop it for 1 week till now after using the Florida Water.

Add boiled water (3 times) with the Floraida Water into a spray bottle. Do spraying just like a air purifrier to the bedroom esp around the cot. also put some on my baby legs and arms... it works also outdoor when i bring my son to park as well. now i buy a portable spray bottle and fill some floria water into it, always keep one in my handbag
    Where do you buy those floria water? I never heard about it.

Just to update, I need to find other ways soon. My baby got bitten again. Guess the repellant device thing isn't working on us. :(

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Natural Oils Work The Very Best IMO

We use a great spray repellent that is made only of citronella and lavender. You can get citronella and lavender oils at health stores--they last a long time, are non-toxic, smell good and work better than any of the patches or other sprays we've found in the drug stores. I spray them on my childrens' clothes when we go out or even on the cloth seat of the stroller and the mosquitos don't even touch them.

We live in a place that has a TON of mosquitos (there is stagnant water everywhere in this village) so it's always a problem here. When my son goes to kindergarten he has to wear insect repellent because at recess they play outside and there are a lot of mosquitos.

I found a good Japanese brand of the spray I mentioned at CitiStore that wasn't very expensive (maybe $50 HKD/bottle) and it has lasted for over a year. They also carry a German brand that is similar but is a cream--I put that on my son when he goes to school.

For example, you can find this product at this store in Hong Kong.

For our home, we also bought a citronella plant and we put it outside our doorway--it seems to keep those nasties away. Got the citronella plant at the local market for cheap. Haven't looked into buying some lavender plants but maybe that's also possible. In the States we use citronella candles outside which we burn when we're having picnics in the summertime--keeps the mosquitos away and smells nice.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast