Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Special Circumstances for Living Out?

carang is offline Registered User
    sorry, i don't buy that. both she and her husband have been here for a "while"... they know what's what. she's trying it on. again, that doesn't mean she isn't a nice person. to me, it merely means she's not trustworthy/truthful. she is counting on the fact that the OP is new here and won't check out the legalities for herself.

that said, we do have a helper that believes EVERYTHING he hears from friends so, anything is possible.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    And although it is illegal, so many people do it. I guess some people out there are willing to take the risk. I understand that the OP wants to do things legally (and I would do the same) but to point out that many helpers and employers are willing to operate a live out arrangement despite the risks.

yes, i do know of people who have done it, but those same people face a lot of frustration if it doesn't work out as they have no legal leg to stand on, having broken the law themselves.

us2uk2hk is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the advice! We're going to continue interviewing for live-in helpers. I'd prefer not to deal with the stress and risks.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    I think it's a little much to assume that she's a liar. Not all helpers are well educated in the law, or well educated at all. There are many, many helpers who live out for years with no problem. So maybe she sees that and presumes it's OK. As she's been here so long, she might also be remembering the laws from when they were more flexible.

Ignorant? Yes. But untrustworthy and a bad person? I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.

Yes, you might get into legal trouble. But the majority of my friends have live-out helpers and, in more than a decade here, I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble. So long as the situation is clearly explained and a mutual decision -- and so long as you are fairly paying for decent rent, food, and transport -- many people do it. I think the government only goes after you if there is a big problem, like an overstayed visa or an abuse case.

I know this doesn't help the OP, but I think it's so unfair that people of all other nationalities -- Chinese, Western -- can have the freedom to live where they want, but Filipina FDH are forced to live in, either if both their employers and themselves don't want it that way. Could you imagine if someone told you you had to be separated from your husband and child for employment reasons?

Personally, we are hiring a live-out FT helper. She clearly stated she wants her own independence, and we clearly want our own privacy, too. We've discussed this with our agency, and filled out the form saying that we do have a spare room which is available to her (which is true). And we will pay decently for an outside apartment for her. We just want to do the best for our family, and our employee. Wish us luck!
    Last edited by Gracey; 05-14-2011 at 01:50 AM.

i never said that i agree with the law. personally, i think it is utterly ridiculous. but, the law is the law (and in my mind should be respected).

sorry, gracey. i still don't buy it. that would be the equivalent of an employer pleading ignorance to the law when caught paying $2000/month instead of the minimum wage...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast