Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Special Circumstances for Living Out?

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Carang -- I don't wish to go on forever about this. But your analogy is really unfair.
    Underpaying an already underpaid migrant worker is ethically wrong. It's abusive. We would never do that. HK $2000 / month is terrible.
    If anything, we're giving her better much pay (almost HK $6,500 once you add rent, food, transport, etc) set work hours, time outside the workplace and more independence. It's an agreement we have both happily agreed to.
    I'm not sure why you're so stuck on this point. I'm not pleading ignorance of anything.
    I know the law, but I think it's an unfair, racist law. It's a small risk we're willing to take to give the helper the freedom and life she wants here.

We have an old lady neighbor with a tiny, quiet dog. Technically, she's breaking the housing estate rules, but I'm not going to rat on her since she's never bothered anyone in her life. I have friends in China who have VPNs to access the Internet. Technically, they are breaking the law, but I'm not going to turn them in.
    I've enjoyed your other posts here. But I find you're a bit judgmental on other people's choices. So long as people are acting in good faith, I say live and let live.
    Last edited by Gracey; 05-14-2011 at 02:06 PM.
    not pizza likes this.

carang is offline Registered User
    gracey, i totally agree with you. the law is ridiculous, racist and everything else you name it to be.

that is not the point. the point is that it is illegal, just as underpaying a helper is illegal. in no way am i insinuating that you do not treat your helper fairly, on the contrary, you seem to be more than fair and generous.

however, i do not understand how people can go on about having an "honest" helper and then require the helper to live out (an illegal act)? in the very nature of your alternate agreement with your helper you are requiring her to be dishonest...

if the law changes, great! I will most likely be one of the people to employ as live-out.

i am not passing judgements on anyone who chooses this option. that is totally up to you and if you are comfortable with the arrangement, great. it's just not something i would personally be comfortable with.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Sorry if it came out the wrong way, Carang. I didn't mean to come down hard on you -- just the law.
    I hope it doesn't seem to the helper that we are forcing her to live out. She specifically asked to live out when we first started negotiating.
    For us, it's a calculated risk we're willing to take. My husband absolutely refuses to have a stranger live in the house. It's a 100% no for him. So when this helper said right away she wanted to live out, it was a Godsend.
    The way my husband is, it's either it's a live-out FT helper, or no FT helper. We also need an English speaker, since my husband speaks no Chinese. Plus, my limited experience with local or mainland helpers is that they are more expensive and not very good. (One Chinese woman from Merry Maids talked my ear off the entire shift about her family problems on the mainland, then refused to change the kitty litter, which is something I'm not supposed to do while pregnant).
    Once I get into late pregnancy and then actually have the baby, I don't think I can do with just PT like I do now.
    Last edited by Gracey; 05-18-2011 at 12:26 AM.

mocha is offline Registered User
    there are no special circumstances.
    however, i think the major risk is due to $$ istead of the legal side. I dont think the gov will check every singal case.
    If something wrong, the insurance protection for the helper is not valid.
    If $$ is not a matter, then a local HK chinese or a foreigner with HK ID can also 100% legally live out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123