Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

bday on beach - bad idea?

evgreen is offline Registered User

FutureHKmom,

It's at the lip of Redhill Peninsula in Tai Tam. If taking a bus (or taxi), get off at Redhill Plaza and there is a staircase off to the side from the bus stop which leads down to the beach (on Tai Tam Road). The staircase is not very prominent, but it shouldn't be too difficult to locate.

forgot to mention there is a small playground on the beach too which is also shaded.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Thanks Evgreen - is the staircase near the entry to HKIS?

The staircase is actually on Tai Tam Road (the main road) just a few steps away from the bus stop. You don't need to go into Redhill to access it. That's the best I can explain it!

shuchisingh is offline Registered User

Turtle Cove is a nice small beach... but the flight of steps is long. With small kids and birthday stuff to carry it's not my fav place to go. but it's quite popular for cozy private parties.

we quite like chung hom kok. it's easier to access from the road. is quite (by hk standards), clean and green. it's near stanley for any emergency shopping. and it's got a big kids playground.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by southside852 View Post
    ....but more than an hour in 90 degree weather w/out an option of cooling off anywhere in an air conditioned space is not ideal....
    This made me smile..For most kids (and parents) the beach is a great place to be during the summer as it gives you the opportunity to stay cool. The water is refreshing and if for some reason you dont like seawater you can always get hosed down in one of the showers nearby. Is aircon really necessary? When else would you go to the beach? Winter?
    *smile*

For the OP, I would suggest finding a beach that will not only cater for the kids but also adults in the crowd. It will make for a much nicer time. With that, I'm referring to beaches that have a bar/restaurant close by so the adults can sit and relax while the kids can play within a very close sight distance.
    eg: avoid Repulse bay but look at StStephens Beach, PuiO, CheughSha and similar.

HC

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureHKmom View Post
    Thanks Evgreen - is the staircase near the entry to HKIS?
    The stairst are right here:
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...159.25,,0,18.5

You can also go down this driveway (private property) to join the stairs that lead to the beach:
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...92.58,,1,10.94

HC

southside852 is offline Registered User

Obviously it's a personal choice for each family. If the family/birthday child loves the beach than it's a no brainer! :) We definitely prefer to have parties, indoor and with air conditioning! Sitting in heat and sweating whether in the shade or not, is not our ideal of fun. Perhaps this is just the New Yorker in me!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast