Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Glucose test?

Gracey is offline Registered User

Glucose test?

I just had my 24-week check-up. My doctor said I should do a routine glucose test at my next check-up, at 28 weeks.
    I read online that there are 2 types of these tests for gestational diabetes.
    The first is pretty simple -- you drink a solution and they test you an hour later.
    Another is more time-consuming -- you fast over night, drink a solution, then your blood is monitored over the course of several hours.
    At the rate at which things happen at this clinic, I could be there all day.

Did any of you have the same test? How long did it take?

Cherina is offline Registered User
    I did the glucose test and it takes a morning. You have to fast from midnight then go to the lab at 9am. They do a urine test and take a blood sample. You then have to drink the glucose solution and wait for 2 hours before doing another blood and urine sample.
    It's really straightforward but take a good book.....

laial is offline Registered User
    The one hour test is the screening test - you have a random blood sugar level done, drink a disgusting sugar drink, repeat your blood test an hour later.

The two hour test is a diagnostic test - you have a fasting blood sugar level done, drink a disgusting sugar drink, and they repeat your blood test either at two hours, or sometimes at one AND two hours.

Back home in Australia, everyone gets the 1-hr screening test and if that comes back positive, they get the 2-hr diagnostic test - but this is in the public system and it's just more cost effective for the government to have this policy.
    I suppose in the private system it's easier just to go straight to the 2-hr diagnostic test.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    i'm due for mine next visit (28wks) and supposedly my doc said i can do one with drinking the awful sugar drink (as he says the chance of my having gestational diabetes is low - i didn't have it with my 1st two kids) and so I presume I'd only be getting the blood test....still would need to fast though...will let you guys know what actually happens..

southside852 is offline Registered User
    ugh YES! I did about 4 glucose tests - 2 of which were the 4 hour long ones. I did the finger prick at 22 weeks which came back very high so the next day I did the 4 hour one (the draw blood every hour for 4 hours) in NYC which was negative. My OB in the NYC said I should definitely be doing it again when I returned to Asia so 7 weeks later, I did a tube of blood which showed I was just over the border of being high....2 days later I did the 4 hour one and it was negative. Meanwhile I had changed my diet etc....Fortunately I didn't have gestational diabetes, but I would take it seriously. You have to reserve a whole morning to do it, fast the night before. You also cannot be moving around a lot after they draw blood so bring books, magazines or work.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Did the one as explained by Cherina, it's easy but I decided to stay in their office as at some point you can feel dizzy (sugar level high and suddenly drops), or nauseous... a good book and it's all fine !