Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what next?! Just arrived in HK and just got positive pregnacy test

whereintheworld is offline Registered User

what next?! Just arrived in HK and just got positive pregnacy test

I've just arrived in HK as my husband and I are relocating here, and also just found out I am pregnant!

Can anyone give me any advice on what to do from here? I'm only four weeks, so should I start looking at Obs now? or wait until my 7 week scan? Do I need a referral from a GP?

Any recommendations on hospitals and doctors? I think I would like to go private and live on Kowloon side (although happy to travel to HK island if they are better).

Thanks

ozmerc is offline Registered User
    Go to your GP first for confirmation, and a referral should you decide to go public. If you intend to go private, start looking for your OB immediately as they book up fast, as do places in private hospitals.

Depending where you are on the Kowloon side, I am told that Union in Tai Wai is one of the best private hospitals (by my independent OB, independent midwife and a few others). As a private patient you need to consider whether you want a shared room or private room - private being much more expensive (the docs jack up their fees), but if you choose shared you are severely restricted, especially with regard to baby rooming in. My birth at Union as a private room patient is going to cost around $100K, everything taken into account.

Good luck!

JamTam is offline Registered User
    Hi there, congratulations!

I totally agree with ozmerc and would also suggest that you confirm with your insurers (if you're using insurance to fund the birth) what will and won't be covered. It's been a bit of a surprise just how much cost was involved with the pregnancy and birth. There's a fair amount in the forums recommending doctors and hospitals, so you should be able to determine a short list quite easily. It's definitely worth trying to book one early. I registered with the hospital about 7 to 8 weeks in, and then paid the deposit at 12-14 weeks. You'll need to check on the policies they have around this.

I live on the Kowloon side as well and have an OB in Wan Chai (Sally Ferguson) and am scheduled to deliver at the Matilda on the Peak.

Best of luck with it all,

Gracey is offline Registered User
    I have been seeing Dr. Jimmy Mak at Baptist Hospital in Kowloon Tong since my first trimester, for scans, check-ups and ultimately to deliver. He is responsive, moderate and has not done what some other HK doctors do (like push a C-section). His English is perfect. The nurses / counter staff might not be fluent, but they also have some English.
    There is sometimes a wait and you do have to book check-ups in advance, but that's true of all private doctors here.
    Because the Baptist pre-natal clinic has 3-4 doctors, if there is an urgent problem and you speak up, the staff will quickly switch you to someone else. They did this to me when I had threatened miscarriages earlier. (Thank god they turned out OK).
    Be sure to check costs / insurance first, though. Going private for 9 months is not cheap.

kaandy is offline Registered User
    Hey a group of us mums to be are meeting up on Sat 28th, 3pm St Oolah. Feel free to join in.

JL168 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracey View Post
    I have been seeing Dr. Jimmy Mak at Baptist Hospital in Kowloon Tong since my first trimester, for scans, check-ups and ultimately to deliver. He is responsive, moderate and has not done what some other HK doctors do (like push a C-section). His English is perfect. The nurses / counter staff might not be fluent, but they also have some English.
    There is sometimes a wait and you do have to book check-ups in advance, but that's true of all private doctors here.
    Because the Baptist pre-natal clinic has 3-4 doctors, if there is an urgent problem and you speak up, the staff will quickly switch you to someone else. They did this to me when I had threatened miscarriages earlier. (Thank god they turned out OK).
    Be sure to check costs / insurance first, though. Going private for 9 months is not cheap.
    Hi Gracey,

i was wondering how much he charged per consultation: internal ultrasound + consultation. Thanks heaps!

Gracey is offline Registered User
    HK 250 for consultations, HK 800 for ultrasounds.

whereintheworld is offline Registered User
    thanks all.
    Gracey - what do you think of the Baptist? I have heard it is good but gets very busy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast