Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

No More Babies--Does HK Have Essure?

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Question No More Babies--Does HK Have Essure?

This doesn't really belong in the "pregnancy forum" because I'm not --but thinking about how to avoid .

Anyway, I am researching the Essure procedure. Has anyone here had this done in Hong Kong?
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

genkimom is offline Registered User
    Girl, Essure is permanent!

I remember when I was at my sixth week follow up appointment, my doctor asked me what I wanted to do about birth control. I said tie my tubes, cut em out pull the whole thing, I was done. I NEVER wanted to go through pregnancy/birth/newborn stage EVER again! i was SURE!

But my doc advised me to read up on all the kinds of BC there are and gave me lots of pamphlets to read and made an appointment to follow up with my really final decision. After talking to my husband, we decided to try an IUD: very effetive, but completely reversible, just in case; and if I really wanted to go the permanent route, I coudl decide later when i wasn't completely nuts with PPD and sleep deprivation.

5 years later, i decided one more might be a good idea, to give my son a sibling so he won't be alone when I die, and here I am about to go through it all over again! I'm older and wser (a bit) and althoguh I am failry confident I don't want to do it a third time, I also feel it's not a good idea to decide that kind of thing when you are sleep deprived and caring for a demanding newborn.

What I find abnormal is any woman who WOULDN'T want to be permanently put on ice after several weeks of babyhood. Those feelings do tend to soften once the hardest months have passed.

Just my unsolicited 2 cents.

Hey genkimom! Welcome to GeoBaby! Yep, I know Essure is permanent. I am just really interested in finding out more information about it. I've heard some good things about it and it's awesome that you don't have to go "under the knife" to have it done. I'd like to know if HK has anyone who offers this procedure?

I think I know what you're talking about when you talk about wanting to "get fixed" right after having a baby because it is tough. I had that feeling with my first baby too. But, this time, it's the opposite feeling. I feel like my family is "perfect." Perfect size. Perfect combination--one boy, one girl. Perfect personalities--loud and active and quiet and sweet. I think I may want to "leave good enough alone."

As far as IUD's go, there is evidence that they don't prevent conception, only implantation and for me that presents a moral dilemma. I have a few close friends who were using IUD's and having constant bleeding because of them which the docs told them is "normal" or "common" with IUD's. Also they increase your risk of ectopic pregnancy--one friend actually had an ectopic pregnancy because of the IUD. I wouldn't be able to use one with hormones either because I can't use hormonal birth control. And with my miscarriage I was hospitalized because they thought it was an ectopic pregnancy and that was scary. I have a close friend who used to live in HK who nearly died of an ectopic pregnancy here (because of the negligence of the public hospital staff but...)

I won't be doing anything permanent in the immediate future but I really want to learn as much as I can so when I'm ready to go permanent I know as much as I can know. :)
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

Anyone??? Any info.???

Mother of Two

erina320 is offline Registered User
    I can't speak as to if they have Essure in HK, but I have had the Essure method done myself.

I also can't do hormonal BC's and after my second pregnancy I knew I was done as well... long story, but pregnancy and I don't get along well.

Essure is a very easy and quick procedure with very little, if any, recovery time. They do usually give a deporvera shot 3 months before having the procedure done in order to thin the lining of the uterus so they can find the opening to the fallopian tubes. I can't tolerate hormones so I asked to do it without the shot. My doctor warned that he may not be able to complete the procedure if the uterus lining was too thick and the alternative was to "flip me over" and do a tubal ligation. Thankfully he was able to complete the Essure procedure.

I will say though that I have NEVER suffered from menstrual cramping, but since having the procedure done (about three months ago) I have had some of the most INTENSE, read stabbing take your breath away, cramps. The only good thing is they are brief and only around ovulation. I've read that this is pretty common with Essure.

All in all I am very happy with my choice to have it done.