Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Any local customs after giving birth?

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    the ginger is supposed to take the excess "air" out of your body so that you will not develop rhematism when you get older. they actually charged $1000 for ginger water at Matilda (which for me was ridiculous!) and to make matters worse for my MIL I took a shower - washed my hair and all 3 hours after the birth! you're not meant to wash your hair for a month - for the same reason!

taysty is offline Registered User
    @lesiefu

I am surprise that Maltida such an expat popular hospital have ginger water and so expensive too.

I also did something that dismay my ILs. They said my hand can't touch/contact with any unboiled water. Well, that means I can't wash my hands after going to washroom? :p LOL

evgreen is offline Registered User
    wow i had no idea matilda would offer something like that (and so expensive too)... to my knowledge all you do is boil ginger in water and add it to the bath. i'm definitely going to wash my hair afterward though...and take a good long HOT shower!

solidstars is offline Registered User
    my mother made me use ginger water too, but i couldn't stand the smell so i 'washed' it off although i did use it.

we did the 100 day party (plus or minus a few days, can't recall exactly) but didn't do the red eggs... or i think my MIL did.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Many of the confinement rules date to a time when China had no clean, running hot water, or indoor heating.
    That's why women couldn't touch unboiled water -- because they might pick-up water-borne diseases like dysentary. And why they couldn't bathe or wash their hair -- because in those days, a cold could lead to pneumonia or bronchitis, and there were no antibiotics. It was when there was high mortality rates for new mothers.
    As a Chinese person myself, I have to say that it's all incredibly outdated and I won't be allowing any of it! Thank God we now have modern showers, hygiene and temperature control.
    Ask anyone if they can prove that these Chinese things work scientifically, and they won't be able to.

Sarah_Lotus is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracey View Post
    Ask anyone if they can prove that these Chinese things work scientifically, and they won't be able to.
    I can tell you about confinement foods from a scientific view point.

Nearly all confinement foods the world over have two things in common. They are either high in iron or high in calcium, often both. And guess what the two minerals it is most common for a new mother to be deficient in? That’s right, iron and calcium.

The ginger vinegar, mentioned earlier, is a prime example of this. It is very high in both iron and calcium. And it is known in the Chinese community to be very good for women’s health, whatever their age. This is why when a new mother is given the ginger vinegar, usually by her mother or mother-in-law, she gets more than she could possibly eat by herself and so she shares it with all the other females in her life.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Sarah Hung IBCLC
    www.lotuslactation.com

Sarah's right. There are of course some benefits that are shared by all confinement foods around the world. And most of it is common sense, like eating a nutritious diet with plenty of iron and calcium, resting for a month, or having help around the house when you have a newborn.
    Personally, I've been eating ginger like mad -- so there is a part of me that is still traditional. :)
    But being part of a Chinese community, I can tell you that there is also much superstition. I've heard it all, from the placement of the bed, to the use of knives, to cutting your hair so it doesn't sap the baby of nutrients, to all sorts of things. Not bathing for a month just seems like a very bad idea in modern times, or wrapping a new mother in suffocating hats and blankets in a Hong Kong summer. Every time I hear someone say that women can never have a drink of cold water, or eat a slice of watermelon, it drives me crazy. Because when I ask the reason, I'm just told, "That's what Chinese people do."
    So use your good common sense. But do rely on your own judgment, and some scientific fact, and not just believe all the Chinese old wives tales espoused by pu-yi or grandmas!

And, while taking ginger in your food is one thing, I have no idea how adding ginger water to your bath will help you with iron, calcium or anything else.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast