Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Any local customs after giving birth?

charade is offline Registered User
    Maybe because ginger has antiseptic qualities in ancient times, it helped. Now, with soap, don't think it's so relevant. The superstititions have some logical basis but don't see why people can't cite the logic then, instead of the superstition. Like, don't move or do renovations during pregnancy, the reason is probably that this is tiring, too much dust etc. That's kind of common sense. But I was actually told by someone in my office that if i do this, my baby might get some marks, and she really believed this had happened to her brother! I was also encouraged to drink milk to make my baby fair. Honestly, I'm Indian. I hardly think this makes sense because then all of India would have fair babies. Drinking milk again might be encouraged because of calcium. So why not say - drink milk it's good for calcium instead of the ridiculous 'make your baby fair'. Oh if I followed all the strictures between India and China about what fruits not to eat, I would be eating no fruits at all.

taysty is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by charade View Post
    if I followed all the strictures between India and China about what fruits not to eat, I would be eating no fruits at all.
    LOL Reminds me what my MIL try to do to my fruits. According to her, I can't take anything cold and to her fruits are cold and she said if you want to eat it your must warm it up by putting it in a bowl of warm water for a couple of minutes!

Gracey is offline Registered User
    My sister-in-law and I were laughing at this. We're both Chinese, but also conscientious and educated, and read up on both Western and Chinese rules. What was funny is that they are often in total conflict. U.S. sources say that watermelon is a refreshing way to deal with nausea and a good source of Vitamin C. The Chinese say not to eat it -- but for no reason other than that old "cooling" superstition.

This conversation led to some aunties argue whether the rule applies to all melons, bittermelon, watermelon, or what. Seriously, they can't even get their own rules straight. And the rules are different between, say, Southern and Northern Chinese -- which goes to show that the whole "Chinese women are built different" argument is just bosh!

We're all joking here -- but the reality is that if an expectant mom takes this too seriously, she could be cutting out essential fruits and vegetables from her diet. I find it hard enough eating well -- while working full-time -- while ignoring all these superstitions. What if you believed the old wives tales and were not eating bananas, melons, cool water, lychee, mangos, healthy smoothies, or anything?

When I'm at work, I'm happy if i can find a good fruit salad instead of junk food. Thank God I can think on my own and eat it without worrying.

P.S. One Chinese lady told me that if I drank cold water, my child would shiver uncontrollably in life. I replied that, if that was true, the whole Western hemisphere would be shivering all the time!

tsubasa is offline Registered User
    yeah my Chinese colleagues keep insisting on the ginger bathing thing- they explained it would help to remove the wind from my body after giving birth. I asked how the wind gets inside in the first place- will it be extra windy in the delivery room while I push? And I don't much like the idea of passing the wind suddenly later either! :)

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    yup that's what they say - "wind" supposedly because if you deliver there's a "big" opening from where the baby comes out and the "wind" goes in...affecting your joints, etc. in the long term i.e. rhumatism (not that there is ANY scienitific proof) but that's what is said. i didn't bathe in it, didn't mind the taste of it so had ginger with rice as a go between with my MIL. the "wind" factor is also why we supposedly shouldn't take a bath / shower because when you do, the "wind" will enter your body because you're so exposed and that will lead to rheumatism too later on in your life...i took a bath 3 hours after i gave birth - of course without the consent of my MIL...but hey, you need to be clean to take care of your new born, right?!?

tsubasa is offline Registered User
    Oh, and the best yet was when I went to my first ultrasound appointment with the OBGYN referred to me by another pregnant lady at my church. I needed to know if there are any foods which should be avoided during pregnancy (ex: sashimi, cold lunch meat, etc...) and she said, "Just do whatever your mother in law says. It will avoid conflict"
    What?! (How about what my MOTHER says who is a health nut herself. Those very "forbidden" fruits and veggies in Chinese traditions are often the ones most "healthful" according to my own mother...) Plus I never told her what my mother in law thought in the first place!
    Oh, and when I asked her if I would be able to safely travel in my early second semester (I had booked a flight to Japan) she said no. But her reason was this: "You might catch a cold because it's cold in the winter in Japan." Um.... okay?
    Needless to say, though I did cancel my Japan trip for my own very different reasons, I also am seeing a different doctor now who is at least a teeny bit better...

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone for your reply.

I've had my baby already and my husband did end up taking his colleagues out for lunch but it was a joint celebration as it was someone's birthday. I didn't do any of that ginger water or other confinement foods.

What did throw me was this 1 month confinement that locals were whispering behind my back when they saw me walking around with my 1 week old baby. A fellow expat mum warned me that people will say I shouldn't be out and about with the baby. They also commented about my wardrobe saying I should be more covered up. Not in this summer heat! Anyway, I didn't end up going out much and stayed indoors with the aircon on.

Glad this thread has taken on different life. Very interesting comments!!!

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Yeah, that makes tons of sense. Don't follow sound medical advice about raw foods that could contain harmful bacteria to the fetus. It's more important to keep your mother-in-law happy and cut out potentially healthy fruits and vegetables.
    Changing docs sounds like a good plan!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast