Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

best kid friendly sushi?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Only the good restaurants would use imported fish. They will often 'brag' about it in the menu. Or Just ask them, they will have to tell you. I didn't know that about wasabi, weird...I hate it myself.

carang is offline Registered User
    just returned from a lovely sushi lunch with the kids.... i think they ate half a salmon between them! LOL!

so, are you saying that the salmon is local? i have never heard of salmon locally, i thought they needed cold water?

kiwiinoz is offline Registered User
    My son only eats the raw salmon, tuna and flying fish roe (small orange balls) - his favorite is tempura prawn rolled in rice and seaweed (prawn is obviously cooked). However my daughter eats almost everything, including the surf clams. In fact if she can convince us to get her the sashimi, she will forgo any of the rice based sushi all together. My kids started eating the raw stuff around age 2, although we introduced each 'new' fish/shellfish gradually over time.

Most places I know import their fish - and often because of this, their sushi have to be seasonal to accommodate.
    sen-ryo claim to also be testing for radiation, etc to help alleviate fears of contamination.
    I doubt if you could find salmon local it would be of the quality required to produce sushi. Not every fish is good enough to eat raw... part of what makes it such an artform imho.

i guess i should have said that i am picky with what i eat...

we eat the salmon, crab stick, seared prawn, boiled prawn, tempura, seared scallop, lobster salad, fried prawn roll....

i don't eat much that is raw myself, but i do enjoy the salmon.

my kids stared eating it when they didn't want to eat their own dinner and hubby and i had bought some sushi take-away. they ended up eating the entire amount of salmon that we had! just like kiwi's kids, my kids would not eat any of the rice if i just ordered salmon for them...

today, they each had 8 pcs of salmon sushi (and that was it!)

As far as sushi being an art form, what makes it so is because of the skill of the chef and how he cuts the fish, as sushi and sashimi require the fish to be cut a certain way, angle, from certain area, etc.
    For sushi grade fish, there I'd really technically no such thing. I can't speak for japan bc I don't know what kind of regulations they have(and if any country would have them re sushi it would be them, though I also find that doubtful since they seem to rely on actual artistic skill for things like this), but I know in the States and Canada there is no such thing as sushi grade fish. What WOULD constitute as such is because of how the fish is handled after it's caught(exam, it's supposed to be bled a certain way and automatically put on ice), that would determine its quality.
    In the states and Canada all sushi fish must be frozen prior to serving as sushi, to kill the Parasites that live in raw fish(some more than others).
    I just really doubt that your average Japanese resto here really import their sushi fish from japan; the few average ones I have asked do not. Salmon does come from colder waters yes, so it's imported, but yuck, look how much cold water there is around china. At PNS the salmon always says it comes from so-and-so ocean, not what county.
    I would expect that in proper sushi restaurants, as the OP seemed indicate she was looking for, that they would
    be using Japanese fish. Then you can afford to be undiscerning for your kids.
    Just for me, since we don't go to these places often, I'm pretty choosy what I eat, perhaps moreso for taste and freshness. The salmon is pretty yummy here in most places I've been though. Just more cautious for my kids.

thanks for the info.

haha! was that a rant? ;)

mine? no.... i don't know anything about sushi except what i saw on that documentary, which is why i always dip our sushi in the wasabi... no rant at all...

still have never heard of chinese salmon, though....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12