Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

HELP NEEDED -- Which school to pick?!

hkdlbo is offline Registered User

HELP NEEDED -- Which school to pick?!

Hi everyone,

We just found out that we are going to move to HK this August and the relocation agent basically said that all the schools that we are interested (CIS, HKIS, SIS, Bradbury) in are closed for registration and/or waiting list are very very long.

They recommended applying for some back up schools but we have no idea how these are. Any feedback and opinions on which would be better?

1. Delia School of Canada -

2. The Harbour School (THS) -

3. International Montessori School (IMS) -

4. Parkview International Pre-School (PIPS) -

5. Sunshine House International Pre-School -

6. Yew Chung International School (YCIS) -

My daughter will be 5 end of Sep and she was going to attend Kindergarten in the US (my hope is that she will attend equivalent grade in HK which should be Y1 or K3...i think). I did read that there is a cutoff date for birthday to be August 31st, 2006 to attend Y1 or K3. How strict is this? I don't want my daughter to repeat a grade by moving to HK. She speaks Mandarin & English pretty fluently.

Any suggestions/feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks

carang is offline Registered User

she won't repeat a grade, but schools set the grades/years differently here.

some of the schools have a dec 31 cutoff rather than an august cutoff. the problem is that every school follows a different system.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User

What you were interested as well as what you are looking at now represent a very wide variety. There are very academic to very relaxed - single language to serious multi-lingual as well.

What are *you* interested in for your child? That should be the first place to start from.

HC

lesliefu is offline Registered User

i'd first decide what kind of curriculum you feel is best suited for your child, then decide what language(s) you want your child to be in contact with in the school environment. once you have decided what your priority is, you can go down the list of schools you have written down and check off the ones that don't match. it really is up to what your family sees as a priority at the end of the day since each school offers something different. also, the cut off date for every school is different so you'd have to check with the schools to double check. personally, i had to skip a grade when i came to HK from the US back in those days ...don't know if they are so strict with the b-days now...

hkdlbo is offline Registered User

Thanks carang, howardcoombs, and lesliefu for the response.

My hope is that she does not have to repeat a grade and that will be one of our key criteria's.

Quite honestly, I am not absolutely certain the type of criteria for my daughter. I do know that we want her to be in a bilingual school so that she can improve on her Chinese and really take advantage of this in HK. We want her to have some structure of a class that she can excel in math/reading with arts & craft sprinkled in. School facilities should be nice but does not have to be the biggest or the best.

I don't know too much about these schools so hopefully I can get some good feedback from the knowledge source of people on this forum.

Thanks again.