Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pregnancy and Junk Trip

YGI
    YGI is offline Registered User

Pregnancy and Junk Trip

Hi, I am currently 13 weeks in. One of our favourite activies in HK, as the summer is now rolling around (the heat!), is to attend junk trip to spend fun times with friends/family while enjoying food and sunshine. We had a junk trip planned (before finding out of my pregnancy) next week, and am pondering if I should go.

Has anyone been on junk trips while pregnant? Would you recommend/not recommend it?

Physically I am feeling fine, not much of morning sickness. I probably will not be going into the water even if I do go on a junk trip, more of thinking of spending time with friends while having some food.

Thanks for advice in advance.

lisa88 is offline Registered User
    If you haven't got any complications that prevent you from taking part in activities, there is no reason to stay away. Presumably you have already been to the obstetrician and had yourself checked out.

To quote my obstetrician "you can stay in bed all through your pregnancy or play rugby but it is not going to make a difference whether you miscarry or not. If the pregnancy will keep, it will keep". This was his advice to me when I went to see him with my 4th pregnancy - my first 3 pregnancies ended in miscarriage. I was very nervous - petrified in fact. Luckily I had an easy pregnancy and had a healthy baby. Throughout my pregnancy I did pregnancy yoga and swam frequently, right up til the day of birth.

Be guided by your doctor (although I know that some doctors are very cautious) and common sense. Also here in HK the locals have lots and lots of taboos.

YGI
    YGI is offline Registered User
    Thanks Lisa88 for your comment! Much appreciated.

Understand and agree your point as well. I suppose I am more concerned/cautious about the rocking motion of the junk trip for 8 hours and also maybe even the risk of tripping over/falling.

Much like rugby - I cannot imagine an accidental full force tackle to my lower body is good.

But yes, am still trying to do some exercise like swimming in a pool or a light job around the track.

Thanks!

Anyone else?

carang is offline Registered User
    don't know why not.... except beware that the sea sickness might set in once you are back on land.... that's always how it is for me...

kaandy is offline Registered User

yeah why not

Hey YGI

Go on the boat honey! I'm 13 weeks too (we should hook up), and like you i'm a bit gutted that i can't participate in full with the Junk season (all for a great cause of course).

I reckon your fine to go, as long as you don't mind all your mates getting gradually more and more drunk without you, and you don't walk around all the time. Just make a home on the top/bottom deck and relax and enjoy the day i guess.

Anyway a few mums to be are meeting up on 12th June at 9.30am at Oolah, come and join us.

PM me if you fancy meeting up anyway.

Take Care

ssheng is offline Registered User
    I went on a junk trip with my first pregnancy at about 2-3 months in and didn't find the rocking motion of the boat to be bothersome. I was however annoyed with some of the other guests who were smoking near me (well smoking generally, but I couldn't get away from them on the junk), and the smell of the boat exhaust, but that might not bother you. I think also if you have morning sickness or dietary restrictions you are following you might have to make adjustments for those. Lastly, when everyone else was enjoying the water it was a bit of a bummer for me, so that was the last and only time I did a junk trip that summer since the rest I was invited to were water-sport focused. Anyway, have a ton of fun; no matter how limiting pregnancy is, a newborn can be more so (but in a good way), so get out there while you can. :)

evgreen is offline Registered User
    I went on a boat trip around 16 weeks pregnant. I didn't get sea sick as I normally don't, but beware of SUN!!! I don't normally burn easily at all, but pregnancy has made my skin ultra sensitive. My chest and tummy got burnt pretty badly, which I regret since it hurt for several days. Lather up on the sunblock and stay very hydrated!

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    No reason why not that I can see, especially if you're not sick - I'm horribly seasick even when not pregnant so junk trips are like a special form of torture I volunteer for, I think I've learned my lesson now ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast