Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Doula Recommendation?

hkexpat2010 is offline Registered User

Question Doula Recommendation?

Hi,

My husband and I recently decided we want to try for a natural, unmedicated birth plan. We're thinking of using a doula as part of the plan.

Can anyone recommend their doula? I'd love to hear recommendations and more details on the experience with a doula. In general, I've heard Mother's Touch and Annerely have experienced doulas.

Some questions....
    How often do you see the doula before birth?
    Was your doula able to do into the birth with you?
    If you deliver at Matilda, is the midwife/nurse in the room with you all the time as a doula would be?
    Did anyone use a birthing pool before going to the hospital?

Any tips and advice would be great!

ozmerc is offline Registered User
    I am using Hulda from Annerley - and because she's a midwife I could also do my antenatal checks with her too. So I would go in for my monthly check and also discuss the birth with her at the same time.

k8h
    k8h is offline Registered User
    Hi

I'm also using Hulda for the birth of my 1st baby in Sept. I also really liked Kathy from Mother's Touch, who has special focus in massage therapy and calm birth techniques. What swung it for me, is that I also wanted a medical professional so I could labour as long as possible at home before going to public hospital to deliver - Hulda is able to monitor baby and mother's heart beat and I liked the idea of having midwife and doula exeprtise combined. If I was going private - I might think about this requirement differently. I am not able to have Hulda in the delivery room as I'm in public hospital but still believe in the benefits of experiencing most of the labour at home.

Would love to hear from others using doulas in Hong Kong and their experience too.

Ok, thanks for sharing! I've kind of decided not to look into Hulda since she doesn't go to the hospital with you, but I'm meeting Liz and Kathy to find out more about their services.

Has anyone been able to get their insurance to cover doula services, antenatal parenting classes, prenatal massage, etc?

Hulda does go to hospital with you - but if you are birthing in a public hospital they won't let any doula in to accompany you.

Ok, thanks. I heard Hulda couldn't go into Matilda to help with the delivery any longer.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    I checked at Baptist hospital. They said that they don't allow outside doulas or midwives into the laboring / delivery rooms.
    They can help you in early pregnancy / after the birth if you are in a private room, though.

They allow them for private room patients at Union.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast