Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Taxi with car seat

AngieO is offline Registered User

Glad to hear they had one. Good luck!

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Great news - never heard of this service. I had heard that the YWCA hires out portacots so they would have been my suggestion for hiring a carseat.

Honkyblues is offline Registered User

To be honest, it's irrelevant whether the belt is between you and baby in a sling, or around you both. In an accident, you're likely to jackknife and crush your baby regardless of seatbelt position. Believe me, I've experienced the jackknife effect, having been in a taxi that rammed into a line of traffic in front of it. Thankfully, this was years ago, pre-children. I was in a neck collar for 3 months, had physio on my neck for 6 months, had a full body bruise in the exact shape of a seatbelt - I wasn't even badly injured, but if I'd had a child on my front, I'd have killed it for sure with my G-forced body weight.

It is infinitely safer to have your young baby in a capsule seat, and an older child on some kind of booster (and now that the supremely portable BubbleBum is available, there's really no excuse for saying it's not practical to carry a booster around). We've used capsules, junior carseats, boosters, sit n strolls - anything to protect our children. And yes, it's inconvenient. But if there's an accident, at least they stand a chance.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkyblues View Post
    To be honest, it's irrelevant whether the belt is between you and baby in a sling, or around you both. In an accident, you're likely to jackknife and crush your baby regardless of seatbelt position. Believe me, I've experienced the jackknife effect, having been in a taxi that rammed into a line of traffic in front of it. Thankfully, this was years ago, pre-children. I was in a neck collar for 3 months, had physio on my neck for 6 months, had a full body bruise in the exact shape of a seatbelt - I wasn't even badly injured, but if I'd had a child on my front, I'd have killed it for sure with my G-forced body weight.

It is infinitely safer to have your young baby in a capsule seat, and an older child on some kind of booster (and now that the supremely portable BubbleBum is available, there's really no excuse for saying it's not practical to carry a booster around). We've used capsules, junior carseats, boosters, sit n strolls - anything to protect our children. And yes, it's inconvenient. But if there's an accident, at least they stand a chance.
    Yes, I could not agree more. I had my first car accident last year when a car pulled straight out in front of me and we hit it at 30mph - it broke my Dad's collarbone and all of us had abrasions from the seat belts. Car accidents do happen and there is no way I would carry my newborn home in a sling after going through this... the chances of an accident must be thousands to one but how could I live with myself if it did happen?

On the YMCA service - very easy - just $20/day rental fee and a $200 refundable deposit. You don't need to be a member or take any documents.. just turn up and walk away with the car seat 10 mins later. Highly recommended.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12