Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Finger Food Favorites?

1sttimemom is offline Registered User
    @Taysty, I think you can pan fry ... a little olive oil or butter is fine for babies :) or even baking may work?

taysty is offline Registered User
    My baby doesn't like cheese or yoghurt. I gave her string cheese in her rice cereal but she doesn't eat too well. Yoghurt is even worse. Bread is okay. For cut fruits she chew and spit it out after awhile? Well, maybe some went in?

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by jvn View Post
    I wouldn't worry about counting teeth, they can eat pretty much anything without teeth - their teeth are under their gums waiting to come through so they're pretty hard, my little boy could chew steak well before he got any teeth, he used to gnaw at it for ages and get all the goodness out :-)
    Yes.. I wouldn't worry about the teeth either... My 10 1/2 month old boy has 7 teeth already, and he is not very good at chewing.... Now, instead of just making puree using the blender, I am fork mashing some of his steamed veggies.. but he still just swallow it instead of chewing on the small pieces.

I guess he is still learning. I gives him strip of toast or cherrios, and he would just chew a little or just leave in on his tongue till it get soft and melt, lol. When I give him pieces of veggies or cheese, I have to make sure it is small, otherwise he would spit it or choke.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    My 8 month year old has 4 teeth and still on lumpy purees. we've tried giving him more textured foods and he just gags, spits it up or throws it up. We've tried giving some rice cakes to him too and even just some long teething biscuits, but he definitely does not have his pincer grasp down yet so it's frustrating for him to try and pick it up. We have to then guide it to his mouth . . . .will try giving the steamed carrots another shot.....will just keep offering as he'll figure it out one of these days!

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by southside852 View Post
    My 8 month year old has 4 teeth and still on lumpy purees. we've tried giving him more textured foods and he just gags, spits it up or throws it up. We've tried giving some rice cakes to him too and even just some long teething biscuits, but he definitely does not have his pincer grasp down yet so it's frustrating for him to try and pick it up. We have to then guide it to his mouth . . . .will try giving the steamed carrots another shot.....will just keep offering as he'll figure it out one of these days!
    It's the order they do things in, we didn't give The Boy any purees at all, just finger food which he learned how to pick up and eat for himself so he had to learn to chew before he could get anywhere near swallowing food.

If you give a baby puree they learn to swallow whatever is on the spoon without chewing so then when you progress to lumpy/textured foods they don't realise they have to chew and have to learn how to eat all over again - some get it more quickly than others and eight months is still very young, let him go at his own pace with the finger foods and he'll figure out this chewing thing!

ozmerc is offline Registered User
    I have Annabel Karmel's book on baby and toddler food, and it has some excellent ideas for baby/toddler foods from 6 months onwards. I'd recommend a copy of that for inspiration.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12