Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finger Food Favorites?

1sttimemom is offline Registered User

Finger Food Favorites?

My 11 month old only has 2 teeth, and I am out of finger food ideas!

Would love to hear some ideas for some simple and yummy finger foods. I've given her cooked pasta, steamed veggies, scrambled egg with tofu, raisins (soaked in water so they are less sweet/softer)... some she likes, some not so much.

Would love to hear some ideas! :)

Thanks in advance!

taysty is offline Registered User

I am interested to know too. My baby is 8 months old with 2 teeth also.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

I wouldn't worry about counting teeth, they can eat pretty much anything without teeth - their teeth are under their gums waiting to come through so they're pretty hard, my little boy could chew steak well before he got any teeth, he used to gnaw at it for ages and get all the goodness out :-)

Try giving him a bit of whatever you're having in a nice big chunk that they can pick up and have a go at. Just avoid the more obvious choking hazards like whole nuts until they have molars for grinding.

I've given her steamed carrots cut into small pieces and still found them not "chewed" in her poop.... sorta hard to miss bright orange. So she's not digesting these foods. Should I still give them to her?

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

Yes, their digestion takes a while to move from processing milk to processing solid food, those little bits of carrot are letting the gut know what it's expected to do. It's like walking, they don't do it overnight but they need gentle practice. Purees aren't digested either but they look the same when they come out as when they went in so you can't tell ;-)

Food is fun until they're one, that means that most of their nutrition will and should come from milk as their bodies learn to digest solid food properly. As with all development it varies between babies but they won't pick up the food and try and eat it if they're not ready to learn so you needn't worry about giving her the food too soon.

banane76 is offline Registered User

How about French toast fingers? I dip them into egg yolks only with a bit of milk and cinnamon. If you don't want to use cow's milk, you can use rice or soy or even formula. I dip pieces of bread in that and then fry them and then cut them into little fingers. You can also try just toast with a bit of cream cheese on them.

taysty is offline Registered User

The french toast fingers seems yummy but I don't want to fry it. Any other alternatives?

Good points, jvn. They won't pick and up and try if they're not ready. :) So little bits of carrot .. still ok :)
    Thank you Banane76, good idea! :) I give her cheese melted on lightly toasted bread already, and that works well... I love french toast myself :)

By the way.. I wonder if babies can eat maple syrup...? haha.. yum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast