Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Weight gain: 2nd vs 3rd trimester

tsubasa is offline Registered User
    I'm getting stressed out by the doctors' comments about my weight gain too. It's my first pregnancy, and I didn't start gaining anything until the second trimester, and then it came on fast. Way faster than the supposed gain of 1-2 lbs a week, I'm usually 2-4 per week. I'm in week 34 now and have gained about 25 lbs total but seriously it isn't uslowing down, even though my hunger seems to be tapering off. The doctors keep saying the baby is normal sized, just on the bigger end of the scale at estimated 5.2 lbs this week, and so the weight is probably just all my own and I will have to "work harder" after I give birth to get rid of it. My blood pressure is normal, as is my urine tests, though they did not test me for GD. I have been having quite a bit of swelling in the feet and hands starting the past two weeks. Should I worry? It's so embarassing to get weighed and then scolded by the doctors all the time and just a couple months ago I was getting questioned about why I wasn't gaining anything. Sigh...

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    25 lbs is completely within the normal range!

evgreen is offline Registered User
    Sounds perfectly normal to me too, tsubasa if you started pregnancy at a normal BMI...you've only got 3-6 weeks to go!!! A friend of mine gained 60 lbs during her pregnancy and lost 30 within the first 3 months so I wouldn't worry about it.

charade is offline Registered User
    Ladies, really, don't worry about the weight gain and don't let your docs/nurses stress you out. I was stressed during my pregnancy that I started getting faux-contractions! And I was so unhappy from the hunger, trying to stop myself from eating. My husband finally told me to just forget it, the Braxton-Hicks eased up and I was overall happier. You are tested for blood pressure and sugar levels at every appt, and if it is normal, don't worry. Even if it is not normal, just do your best to eat healthy. It's not always possible because sometimes the healthy food just doesn't satisfy a hungry tummy... In my second trime, I needed carbs. I really doubt the abilty to tell the size of the baby before birth, because I was warned my baby was big and he turned out to be small. The body works in mysterious ways. I am not the only one that gained a lot of weight, I know two other women who gained similarly - 40 pounds, their babies were perfectly normal sized, and they lost all the weight without big effort and are slimmer than many who didn't have such weight gain in pregnancy today. Just be happy, that's what's best for your baby!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    seems within the normal range to me - don't worry too much it's not good for the baby for you to worry so much. most of the weight will come off - especially if you breastfeed - at least that happened for me, each feeding is like working out - you use so many calories! :)

evgreen is offline Registered User
    Update: 27 weeks now and total weight gain up to 7kg. That means I've been gaining about 1kg per week for the past 3.5 weeks! Hope everyone else is enjoying a smooth pregnancy:)

Gracey is offline Registered User
    That is totally within the normal range. They recommend a max of 30-35 lbs by the end, so 25 lbs in the third trimester sounds normal.
    I am 31 weeks and up 30 lbs!
    And I'm eating well and exercising -- and not worrying about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12