Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weight gain: 2nd vs 3rd trimester

Gracey is offline Registered User

Weight gain: 2nd vs 3rd trimester

Hi everyone --
    I'm halfway between my 2nd and 3rd trimesters, at 27 weeks.
    I was pretty small for a while and then -- pop! Now I'm suddenly way big.
    I've gained 20 lbs (a little over 9 kilos) so far.
    It looks like it's all going to my belly. My breasts / hips / rest of body are not really much fatter.
    I'm eating more than pre-pregnancy, but not really eating more than a few months ago. I'm generally eating healthy foods, with a few indulgences, and keeping pretty active, as I'm still commuting and working. I sometimes do prenatal yoga and walking.
    So... is this weight gain normal?
    More importantly, goes weight gain decrease / increase / stay the same in the 3rd trimester?
    When did you guys gain more -- 2nd or 3rd?
    Good luck to all you ladies out there. Gracey

ssheng is offline Registered User
    I think a lot of people tend to 'pop' around the time you are describing in their first pregnancies, so I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like you are doing great with the weight gain as well so far - I think recommended is 1 pound per week in both the 2nd and 3rd trimesters (which can trickle off at the end), so you should fall within the guidelines on overall weight gain. Even if you don't, which I certainly didn't (gained about 15 pounds more than I was 'supposed' to), it's not a time to diet, and every woman is different, so I would not worry about counting calories and feed your body when you are hungry with healthy foods and trust that your body knows how to allocate for your growing baby. Also, factor in things like water retention, lack of mobility/energy, etc, which can cause a bit more weight gain in the 3rd trimester than you experienced in the 2nd. Good luck to you!

catan is offline Registered User
    I increased food intake since getting pregnant, and was gaining at a rate of 1 to 1.5 lb per week up to around the end of the second trimester. Then weight gain slowed quite a lot in the third trimester, I gain a few, lose a few, and on average have only gained a few lbs in past 8 weeks despite eating the same amount as I had been throughout pregnancy. I did eat more junk food in the early months though, and hardly any now, so I think that makes a difference. The baby is growing nicely rather on the big side so the slowed gain hasn't been a concern. Going by appetite and eating healthy foods is the way to go! And also drinking lots of water! Good luck :)

etnea is offline Registered User
    I've gained about 12kgs so far, and I'm in week 28. Almost all of that was in the first/beginning of second trimester. I've been eating a bit more than usual, but not that much more really...what is however noticeable, is that my body seems to be using a lot more of the food...um, there's less waste product iykwim.

I'm almost 28 weeks now and up 10 kg, or 22 lbs. Every time I log on here, I'm fatter! :)

evgreen is offline Registered User
    i do yoga and walking too! yoga once a week (90 min) and 2.5km walks 3-4 times a week with the dogs. i haven't really changed my eating habits too drastically since pregnancy. i eat a much fuller and nutritious breakfast though compared to pre-pregnancy. i try to stay away from overly salty foods and eat a lot more fruits. i started out at 50kg and now at 24 weeks have gained 4.5kg. i have a feeling i'll gain most of my weight in the 3rd trimester though...

charade is offline Registered User
    I gained a lot of weight in my last pregnancy - around 40 pounds. The nurses and doctors in the public system stressed me out somewhat about my weight, first saying that there would be a danger of gestational diabetes (which I never developed) and that the baby would be too big (he was on the small side when he was born). The hunger got really bad in my second trimester and nothing but carbs could satisfy. I was physically in pain if I didn't eat. The hunger lessened in the third trimester and I was able to snack more on fruit and veggies and also go for long walks. I lost most of the weight without much effort and was only 3 kg more than my pre-birth weight 2 months after giving birth.

Charade -- You made me feel much better. Thank you! The last few weeks, I've been packing on an alarming kilo a week (or 2 lbs a week), even though I've been eating healthily (I'm almost vegetarian) and exercising (30 min swim today, 30 min yoga yesterday). I'm not joking that I'm fatter every time I log on. Since my last comment, I've gone from 10 to 11 kg weight gain!

I had a check-up a few days ago and my doctor said I was fine, even though my weight has "spiked" recently. He said not to look too much at those online charts, as every woman is different. My blood pressure is low to normal and my blood sugar is low to normal (no diabetes). The baby is a normal size and active. He told me just to continue my "healthy diet."

On the same day, I had one nurse tell me I was carrying small, and another nurse tell me I was carrying huge. So I'm just going to ignore all the random commentary, and just focus on what my doctor says.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast