Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

SI joint pain

evgreen is offline Registered User

SI joint pain

I started to experience a dull pain in the back of my right hip/buttocks yesterday. It's especially painful when I arch my back forwards or when I'm shifting while lying down. Pretty sure it's all part of being pregnant! It's definitely not sciatic nerve pain, but very uncomfortable nonetheless. Anyone else experience this? I'm thinking of getting a pregnancy massage and hoping it will help.

Obiwan is offline Registered User

I experience this too, but may not be as bad as yours. Massage only offered temporary relief but doesn't get rid of it. Pilates helps a lot.

evgreen is offline Registered User

Obiwan, I haven't been to yoga in more than a week...which reminds me, it would probably be a good idea to ask my yoga instructor if there are some poses which would help. Where did you attend pilates?

RileyC is offline Registered User

Sounds like a sacro-iliac joint injury, which I suffered from in the past. You might want to have it checked out by a GP who can then refer you to a physiotherapist. It rarely goes away on its own.
    Posted via Mobile Device

banane76 is offline Registered User

Massage can help. Your ligaments are probably more flexible so you need to be careful with certain exercises. You actually don't want to stretch too much with yoga. See an osteo or registered massage therapist.

yonge is offline Registered User

Had it with all three pregnancies. My (public) doctor said it had to do with my body's reaction to pregnancy-related hormones and that some people get it worse than others - could be genetic. However, avoid heavy lifting for the three months after delivering and you'll find that the pain will go away pretty quickly. If you injure it after delivery, as I did after giving birth to my second, the pain can last over a year! Exercise is great to help strengthen the muscles to avoid injury, but once injured, it won't help. Ibuprofen was my best friend during that extremely painful year!