Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Can I change public hospitals?

Koan is offline Registered User

Oh man. I'm going to register there this afternoon, I'm having a baby in September.

I had my son there in 2008 and each delivery room was just for one labouring mother, so it didn't matter how other women felt about having a man there, they wouldn't even see your husband. Have things changed that much? Husbands were not allowed in the labour ward, but you're transferred out of there once you're at 3cm dilated anyway.

Can't we just carry on and insist on husbands being there? I think I'd probably refuse to go into the delivery room unless my husband were with me! He missed my son's birth (they were all ready to send me for an emergency c/s) so I really want him there this time. Even if I have to have a baby in the hall. ;)

charade is offline Registered User

It's puzzling this thing about what other women might feel... because as Koan said, you deliver in a separate room. That entire area, where the actual delivery happens, was called 'delivery suite' in United Christian and was on a different floor from the labour ward, where women wait in various degrees of labour before they are wheeled into the delivery room. So your husband would not be allowed in the labour ward definitely... as that is women only... but the delivery suite might be a different matter. My husband never saw any other women while in the delivery suite as they were in their own rooms busy giving birth! Also, he was whisked to my room and left it only once when he had to pee. Wonder if a Cantonese speaker might be able to get this clarified for you...

deliran is offline Registered User

Hopefully you're right. Maybe the doctor was somehow confused and telling me that husbands won't be allowed in the labour ward, but will be in the delivery ward (or 'delivery suite'). It's weird though, because I was very clear about wanting information about my husband being there during the birth. I'll ask a Cantonese friend to try to call the hospital to clear this up for me and will report back if there is any news.

lalligirl is offline Registered User

husbands are allowed in the delivery room, but generally not in the labour ward as you may be in with other women. this is true of most (all?) public hospitals, including QMH. i heard that PoW are more restrictive than usual about when husbands can go into the delivery room, but generally they move you into the delivery room when you are in active labour (3cm dilated, i think..??). this is why i think labouring at home for as long as possible is a good idea. if you're nervous about when to go, you could get a doula (if not too expensive for you), who can be with you in the early stages if you wish, & can also advise when to go to hospital.
    when i had my bub there in march, my husband & i were only separated for about 15 minutes while he did the admission stuff. i was 6cm when i arrived, so didn't go into the labour ward at all.
    probably stating in your birth plan that you want your husband with you at all times would help, too. Also, they're usually responsive to a bit of firm, but polite insistence!

Koan is offline Registered User

Well they wouldn't let me register anyway, since I don't have proof of residence. I was using a friend's address, on the sage advice of a nice O&G nurse there. Didn't work though. Guess I'll be getting a taxi to the A&E when in labour...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12