Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wash and Wash again!!!!

RileyC is offline Registered User
    Summer is the start of tick season in HK. Ticks start off very tiny in size, rather like a speck of brown. At that stage it's hard to see any legs. On closer inspection, you start to notice that they're actually moving. As they feed more, they grow in size and the legs become more noticeable; they stay brown until at some stage they often look black and look like a Chinese fermented black bean ("dow see" to a Cantonese speaker). To the unfamiliar, tick bites tend to be confused for mosquito bites but the difference is that they tend to itch for longer and the bite marks linger for longer (and are more likely to form scabs if scratched).

Do you have a pet dog or cat? The pet could have brought them in? Do you take your baby (or other children) to the playground or any grassy areas? The ticks could have latched on to a human host there. The playmat may not be the source. As disgusting as ticks are, they are easier to get rid of than bed bugs, so don't worry unduly. However, you will have to be vigilant and patient. If you have a pet dog or cat, you will also have to treat them with tick shampoo as well to avoid re-infestation of your home. You will be able to find out more about getting rid of ticks on google.

ozmerc is offline Registered User
    Just another guess - they could be baby cockroaches just hatched. They seem to appear around this time of year and grow very rapidly into much larger cockroaches! We get them in our flat but when they are still tiny the grocery store cockroach baits seem to do the trick. It's pretty gross, but not as worrisome as bed bugs or ticks. But better to get them identified properly.

yonge is offline Registered User
    I used Pesticide Services Co. Ltd. You can ask for Bano on +852 9309 6188, or call the main line at +852 2570 7028. We asked for fumigation for all crawling & flying insects, which costed HK$590 for a 2,000 sq ft flat last September. There's a warranty for 2-3 weeks, if you continue seeing them, but it did the trick for me. Good luck!

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    RileyC and jvn, thanks for trying to make me feel better. I'm so stressed at the moment with breastfeeding, sleeplessness and dealing with a jealous older sibling that I'm pretty acopic withe the current situation (no more reserve......)....moreover the pictures of the bites you get when you google bed bugs is frightening to say the least. I'm now onto the task of sorting this problem out once and for all. I've caught a few of the pests, hunted through the house for bed bug dropping, blood stain marks and thought I'd found some dropping but after looking at the black things I'd found with a loupe they turned out to be bits of black fluff!

RileyC, we haven't noticed any more bites but I'll take a look at any new bites to see if they are more itchy than normal and if the bite lasts for longer (I think so at any rate...so it may be ticks....hoooooray.....sad I know.....I'm just holding onto anything that it won't be bed bugs). Btw, we don't have any pets, but my children do go to the park....so still a possibility.

Yonge, thanks so much for the contact, will get onto them tomorrow to see if they work public holidays, and have a number from another friend to call too.

Will keep you posted on the outcome, in hopes it may help others out there and thanks for your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12