Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wash and Wash again!!!!

mummymoo is offline Registered User

Wash and Wash again!!!!

I just wished to share my experience with other mums and ask advice as to what to do. I recently bought a play mat from one of the premier baby shops (not sure if I am allowed to name them and this is probably a problem with the supplier than with them, as the item was made and presumably stored in some Chinese warehouse), and I opened and assembled it whilst sitting on my fabric lounge. After being happy that all the pieces were there, in working order, I proceeded to have the actual mat portion (which is fabric) and the little hanging stuffed toys washed. A week later I noticed one or two bugs crawling over the mat near my infant, these can only be described as like a beetle shape but in miniature, size wise it is 2-3mm or 1/8 of an inch, no wings. My helper noticed one or two also. Over the last fortnight I have noticed more and more of these creatures appearing, usually around the play mat but also on my child's change table and also on the original lounge where I opened up the packaging to begin with. There were not there before the play mat came to my home, the majority have been on my lounge and on the playmat (there are bits which can not be washed) and I can only think there must have been some larvae or some bugs which had been hidden in the packaging/mat which feel on my lounge and floor and have now grown into adulthood. Completely grotesque I know!

Now I have a mini pest problem on my hands. So my word of warning for mums out there and anyone else is to not open these items on lounges ect where the bugs can seed, wash and double wash these baby items as they are not 'clean' when they come out of a shop as they may have spent an age in some poorly ventilated warehouse somewhere and my question is what can I do about the pests with a very small baby at home?

Any advice appreciated. Feeling very itchy and scratchy even as I type this post out.....

erina320 is offline Registered User
    Ughhh... Sounds like bed bugs. So not fun.

RileyC is offline Registered User
    Have you got a photo of the bugs? We might be able to identify them and suggest an appropriate way to kill them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Portia is offline Registered User
    Maybe you should call a pest control company to come take a look and give a quote. If it's bed bugs it can get out of control, so you should act fast. Are the bugs biting you and your baby?

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    Thanks for your advice, I've caught a few on a piece of tape and was planning to bring to a pest control company, any recommendations regarding good companies would be appreciated. These things are tiny RileyC and my camera can't image them in sharp focus, so will have to show someone in person one suspects.

Portia, I've had a few bites but thought they were from mosquitos, I'd never even considered bed bugs until erina320 suggested it....now pretty stressed.....just googled it and it seems like a disaster to have an infestation of.

As for my baby, well she has a few reddish marks (only on the face) but I thought it was healing baby acne.

What a stress....all over my careless handling of a play mat!

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Don't beat yourself up mummymoo, I certainly didn't wash The Boy's playmat when I bought it - you're just unlucky not careless. But I do echo the advice to get some pest person in asap to sort them out. Good luck.

erina320 is offline Registered User
    Like JVN said don't beat yourself up. Bed bugs are an epidemic worldwide right now, mainly because of product contamination from manufacturers in Asia. It could happen to anyone.

Here in the states people are getting them at movie theaters and then carrying them back home with them. So the little buggers are EVERYWHERE!

I'm just sorry you have to deal with them with a little one. It's stressful enough and then have to worry about pesticides and your baby on top of that.

RileyC is offline Registered User
    Could they be ticks? Ticks are more common in HK than bed bugs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast