Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

CDNIS students speak mostly Cantonese amongst themselves?

littleho is offline Registered User

Hi HC,

My son's case is quite complicated. He cannot go KCS P1 after K3 because he is too young (born in Jan 2007). While his teacher said he is capable, the school admission policy of KCS primary section with regards to cut-off date does not allow students who are born after Dec to enter P1. That means he will have no where to go after K3. We do not want him to study the same stuff in K3 for one more year.

Another reason is that KCIS has become oversubscribed and many KCIS existing students stay with the school. The attrition rate has dropped significantly. It becomes hard to get in KCIS in later years. In the recent interview for Reception Class, the school only picked 3X candidates (many of them from other international kindergartens) amongst 1XX applicants. They only chose 12 of them. Originally, there were four spaces availble. The school create eight more spaces due to strong demand. I know the school picked only 50 candidates for P1 interview and it only admitted 10 of them. Spaces in later years (P2, P3,...) are even less as most KCIS students stay with the school.

Quote Originally Posted by howardcoombs View Post
    Littleho,

would you not consider leaving them in KCS for a few years before switching them over?
    Thats what I did with our 3. Nothing beats immersion when it comes to learning a language. KCS, with its strict form and full on immersion was really good for us.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyV View Post
    As far as I can see I have offered much more precise information in this thread than you have offered. More than happy to continue to provide information on this or other threads.
    Thats fantastic HappyV -- I would encourage you to share your thoughts and opinions in public so everyone can see them instead of hiding them in PMs.

HappyV is offline Registered User

I would encourage you to closely examine KCIS' exam results.

Honkyblues is offline Registered User

HowardCoombes, why are you so consistently belligerent, strongly opinionated and argumentative? You are one of the few members of this forum that actively seeks to create an argument. I'm assuming you are male. The majority of posters on this site are female and much gentler in their approach. Perhaps you could dial it down a notch, or join a high school debating team to get it out of your system.

Sun Queen likes this.

I have strong opinions on a few select topics. If you dont like my opinions, my writing or my style, you can find the ignore button under my profile. Yes, I'm male.
    HC

Quote Originally Posted by HappyV View Post
    I would encourage you to closely examine KCIS' exam results.
    What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
    It certainly has nothing to do with your claims regarding CDNIS' Mandarin programme.

littleho is offline Registered User

Dear HC,

You mentioned that one of your kids is in ISF. Did you switch him/her from KCIS? Is he/she a full-fee paying or scholarship student? I heard cases of switching from ISF to KCIS, because.....

Thanks

All 3 of my kids attended KCS for the immersion Mandarin. As they get older and finishing primary schools, I'm moving them into primarily english schools.

My eldest was accepted into ISF so she started there after KCS. We are paying full fees at ISF which is quite hard, but thats a different topic.
    ISF does have fairly high requirements on fluency for both English and Mandarin; unfortunately, due to numerous issues, my #2 did not qualify for ISF. Luckily we were able to find her a spot at KCIS and she is flourishing there.

My youngest is still at KCS and has a few more years to go. We are not sure which school we will pick when he is finished at KCS. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, we did previously look at CDNIS very carefully but I found their Mandarin program to be lacking. If what HappyV says it true and they are looking at ramping things up for 2013, perhaps we will consider CDNIS as it does give a good inroad into Canadian universities.

HC

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast