Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

CDNIS students speak mostly Cantonese amongst themselves?

littleho is offline Registered User
    Dear thelonewalker,

Thanks for sharing your insights and contribution to forum. It definitely helps me as well as other parents to choose the right school.

Littleho

peainpod is offline Registered User
    Bravo, thelonewalker, your post clarified and validated quite a number of troubling things that I've heard over the years about CDNIS.

What I find particularly sad is your comment about how the school's obsessive focus on achieving top scores has been done at the expense of crippling the students' spirits and voice. Very troubling indeed.

Moreover, the fact that you spent 8 years there and have apparently achieved a solid education but that this was not enough to compensate for your overwhelming negative feelings about the school also strikes me as profoundly sad.

I just have one question for you. You mentioned that life was hard for those students not achieving the desired top scores. Can you elaborate on this?

Anyway best of luck in your coming university life and I hope that you will find greater happiness there.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    Students who do not meet minimum standards are often guided out. Similar practices occur in CIS, HKIS and other international schools, and these practices are standard in local schools.
    I find the whole post over the top and reeking of sour grapes - this student has clearly been disappointed in some way, personally or academically or socially, but I do not think you can take one students' view and use it to judge a whole school experience.

CDNIS has just posted their IB results in their website. And I freely acknowledge that results are not everything, but the school does have a rich and vibrant cultural and sporting life and students are actively encouraged to participate in these programs, right through their years at the school.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    HappyV, just so everything is out in the open, whats your connection to CDNIS?

Are you a parent, teacher, administrator? You seem to be heavily slanted and cheering for them in a big way.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    My 2 cents. I have nothing to do with CDNIS -- I'm not a parent, employee, etc -- though I once volunteered to do some student talks there.
    The kids have great English. They were also a delight to talk to -- the best school talk I've done in HK. They seemed curious, willing to ask questions and not shy, which is more than what I encounter in most local schools. It was also good of the school to bring in regular outside speakers.
    I know this doesn't answer the question of the thread. But I have to say I was impressed.

Gracey, I agree 100%. I visited the school on 3 occasions and met the head twice. Unfortunately, he died last year in very sad circumstances. Lovely teachers, fantastic facilities and delightful kids.

If it had a more intensive Mandarin curriculum, I would have picked it for my kids as I want my kids to get into universities in Canada.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    I am not a teacher at CDNIS. I am not a parent at CDNIS. I am not a student at CDNIS - satisfied? But I have been involed with more than a dozen local/ESF/international schools in a number of roles, and yes, I think CDNIS is an outstanding school - one of the best in HK.
    Actually, the principal of the lower school died in 2009 - nearly two years ago. And the Mandarin program is much different than what is was even two or three years ago. I suspect that howards info is out of date.

You're right, it was 2 years go when we last met him and he died a a couple of months later. Time flies; and it was really sad; he seemed like a very nice and caring person.

As for the Mandarin program, I was there last year and it still didnt satisfy my needs and wishes hence I looked elsewhere and found something a lot more suitable for my requirements.

As for being satisfied, actually no; I was trying to figure out the source of your zealotry, but have failed to figure that out. Anyway, I've said my piece and peace and will sign off for now.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast