Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

CDNIS students speak mostly Cantonese amongst themselves?

littleho is offline Registered User

CDNIS students speak mostly Cantonese amongst themselves?

Dear CDNIS parents,

I am considering to apply P1 for my son. However, I was told that most Chinese students speak Cantonese amongst themselves in P1-P3. In addition, most students have after-school tuitions in English, Chinese and Maths.

Are these true?

HappyV is offline Registered User
    Any International school with local students has this issue.
    Having said that, CDNIS does a very good job of making sure students speak English (or Mandarin) while at school. Also, not many students in the grades you mention have such extensive tutoring. If you want more details, please PM me.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    A little off topic, but Happyv - do you know how the mandarin program is ad CDNIS? ( since you mention encouragement to speak mandarin). Thanks!

Outstanding. The program is easily the equal of any in Hong Kong. The IB Diploma results from the 2010 graduating class speak to that. The highest IB score is 7. The average for this group was 6.9. Speak for itself.

They also have an excellent French program.

littleho is offline Registered User
    Thanks very much for your info

I have sent you a PM. Please kindly check your mailbox

Quote Originally Posted by HappyV View Post
    Any International school with local students has this issue.
    Having said that, CDNIS does a very good job of making sure students speak English (or Mandarin) while at school. Also, not many students in the grades you mention have such extensive tutoring. If you want more details, please PM me.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Outstanding. The program is easily the equal of any in Hong Kong.
    HappyV, what does that mean exactly?
    Surely CDNIS programme cannot equal the Mandarin being offered by CIS, SIS, ISF and YewChung. If it is, I would love to hear further details on how a couple of hours per week could be so effective.

HC

Quote Originally Posted by howardcoombs View Post
    HappyV, what does that mean exactly?
    Surely CDNIS programme cannot equal the Mandarin being offered by CIS, SIS, ISF and YewChung. If it is, I would love to hear further details on how a couple of hours per week could be so effective.

HC
    First of all, what makes you think it's only a couple of hours a week? And as any effective teacher or learner knows, it's not always about the amount of time, but how you spend it.

The Mandarin Diploma offering at CDNIS (unti now) has been Language B (or second language). From next year they will offer Mandarin as Language A (first language).

SIS doesn't even offer a full diploma program yet. My comments are based on the success of a program hat can achieve such outstanding results at matriculation.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    First of all, what makes you think it's only a couple of hours a week? And as any effective teacher or learner knows, it's not always about the amount of time, but how you spend it.
    Thats what I was told, 2 years ago when I visited the school. Obviously things have changed so I look forward to being corrected. How many hours of Mandarin do kids at CDNIS get these days?

As for number of hours : I've learned enough languages in my lifetime to know that nothing beats time and practice when it comes to languages. Learning characters and practicing speach requires repetition and time. There is no substittute that I know of.

The Mandarin Diploma offering at CDNIS (unti now) has been Language B (or second language). From next year they will offer Mandarin as Language A (first language).
    SIS doesn't even offer a full diploma program yet. My comments are based on the success of a program hat can achieve such outstanding results at matriculation.
    Thats great, but you completely sidestepped my question. You claimed:
    Outstanding. The program is easily the equal of any in Hong Kong.
    I have serious doubts how CDNIS, with its limited Mandarin language programme can equal the likes of CIS, ISF and others. Yet, I'm ready to be convinced.

HC

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast