Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Rejection from Matilda

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Oh, great! (I'm delivering at Baptist).
    I just want to know why they insist on bringing their entire families -- and their suitcases -- into both the prenatal check-up area and the maternity wards!

catan is offline Registered User
    I was declined by Matilda when applied at 15 weeks (last Dec to deliver this June). My obgyn wasn't concerned, and my booking was confirmed when I was past 36 weeks.

As for Canossa, a family member delivered there and had a positive experience, mother got plenty of rest. But I am told the hospital doesn't allow rooming-in with baby unless it's a private room, which may make BF a challenge.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    i remember at sanatorium they did not allow for baby to room in and I was in a private room, but if you let the nurses know your intention to solely breast feed, they would bring the baby into your room whenever a feeding was needed - they asked if you were sure and as long as you say yes, they will wake you up to feed the baby at all hours - there was no problem there at all. perhaps canossa is similar?!?

charade is offline Registered User
    I don't think rooming in with baby is necessary for breastfeeding. Although many here say that they were allowed to room in with baby in the public system, in United Christian where I delivered, the baby was in the nursery up to the second day when they asked us to keep the baby with us. But they were very supportive of breastfeeding, though it was on a schedule. My son wasn't never getting full on what I was producing and so they offered formula but only after confirming with me that I was ok with it - once I said no and they respected that - and when they did feed him formula they cup fed him. I had no problem breastfeeding although my son wasn't rooming in... and the first couple of days I think I would have been exhausted if he was rooming in.

newhkmommy is offline Registered User
    as a 3rd time mum, i totally agree with charade. one of the most important things (in my opinion), for helping w/breastfeeding is to make sure mum is well rested. with baby #1, i did rooming in -- big mistake. i was exhausted, couldn't sleep because i was listening for baby, etc. starting w/baby #2, i room in during the day until midnight and then send bubs to the nursery until 6 am. then i get a good night's sleep and am refreshed and ready to feed in the morning. fyi, i also don't believe in nipple confusion -- all 3 of my kids were equally good at the breast and with a bottle

banane76 is offline Registered User
    I think it really depends on your baby. I just had my second baby and the experience was a bit different this time around. The first time, my labour was over 2 days so I was exhausted. My baby also had to go up to special care so it was nice to just crash out after she was born. But I was soooooo jealous the next day of the other moms that had their babies with them. I went up as much as I could to see my baby. Up there though, the nurses don't have much time to help you with breastfeeding so it was hard for me to get her going with the latch. I had to wait til she could come home and have a lactation consultant help me. Whereas this time around, the labour was a lot quicker and I was sooo happy to have baby with me. Even though you may say no formula, no sugar water or pacifiers, sometimes it still happens so I was happy to be able to see my baby, cuddle my baby as much as he needed. Just think, they spent 10months in the security of your belly and then all of a sudden get thrust into this cold world. Just my 2 cents. I know that rooming in is encouraged at public hospitals, but not sure about private. I think everyone gets slightly different experiences because the staff on duty can really colour your experience at the hospital.

Decbaby2011 is offline Registered User
    thanks all for your feedback, i totally agree that it perhaps will come down to the staff on duty but I will heed advice and try my best to BF whether that be rooming or not. Good to know for newhkmommy that babies won't get nipple confusion; that was probably one of my concerns as i have received differing views on this.

Appreciate all the advice i am getting from experienced mommies ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12