Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

7m old contant pooping

hbomb is offline Registered User

7m old contant pooping

My 7 month old girl started pooping around the clock about 2 weeks ago. She used to do it once a day in the morning before this happened. She even poops at night which she NEVER used to do. Half of the time its loose and the other times its normal. I am wondering its because she has started solids at 6m. I am not giving her solids today trying to find out what's causing this. Its 1:30pm and she has already pooped 4 times since 6am. She doesn't seem to be in pain or discomfort at all. It could be related to teething perhaps. Her pedi is on holiday for a few weeks so we are going to take her to see him the week after. But in the mean time, did anybody have similar experience? I am now changing her diaper every 2 hours to avoid diaper rash!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    could be due to her diet - won't worry too much as long as you have some "normal" poo too. perhaps you're introducingtoo many "new" foods and could slow down a bit. i remember my #1 pooed a lot when i gave her broccoli...i recall my #1 having similar problems but as her body adjusted it was fine.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    Yes, my son at 7 months did too (he just turned 8 months on the 1st so I remember this very clearly). He would poop about 3 times a day and it was because of his teething. His 4th tooth on top was breaking through. Like you, he would also poop once at night so I was forced to change him (normally we let him cry it out). He has tons of barrier cream on his butt 24/7 and then we air it out for a good 15/20 minutes before bath time. It's gotten much better now - all 4 teeth have broken through . . .

yonge is offline Registered User
    My eldest had loose stools for about six months around the same age. The pediatrician said that as long as he didn't have a fever, was otherwise happy and playful, continued to eat well and gain weight as appropriate, there was nothing to worry about and nothing that anyone could do about it. Just one of those mysterious things that we don't have to have answers for, I suppose!

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Yup, teething, teething, teething. Or possibly a reaction to a particular food type but most likely teething. If she's happy and not distressed then I wouldn't worry at all - lots of bum cream though 'cos teething poos can be quite acidic and give a nasty rash.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Hi hbomb, exactly the same thing happened to my baby at about 5 months.

From pooping once or twice a day he seemed to be doing it every 10 minutes. I was constantly changing nappies. And yes, pooping at night too which he never used to do. For me, this coincided with introducing more solids and switching from breastmilk to formula.

Now, at 6 months, he is constipated!

hbomb is offline Registered User
    Thank you all for replying. I stopped giving her solids for one day and the next day I reduced the amount of solids by half. Gradually she started to poop more sporadic. Yesterday she pooped about 4 times and didn't at night which is a great progress compared to about 10 poops a day. Liquorice, did he naturally get out of this phase? yes its exactly same case. I introduced solids and at the same time I started to supplement with formula. I think probably her stomach could adjust to the sudden change. I am going back to 2 meals(solids) per day from 3 with amount much reduced and this seems to be working for now.

Scroll to top