Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What baby items wouldn't you buy used?

charade is offline Registered User

I got practically everything for my son secondhand and have had no issues. These include - stroller, crib, breast pump (because I was borrowing I got two so I didn't need to carry one to work), clothes, baby carrier. Bottles and teats I bought but my sister did send a couple of her old bottles with her pump and I used those. Recently my sister in law gave me a play gym that has already gone through five children. The good thing about secondhand stuff - especially if it is given not bought - is that often half this stuff doesn't get used and then it's not such a colossal waste. Things I ended up buying were bathtub and bassinet simply because I couldn't be bothered trying to find secondhand ones and of course disposables like diapers and wipes. All toys were new but gifted... You will get more stuff than you expect as gifts so don't buy too much.

penguinsix is offline Registered User

Many pediatricians specifically advise against used mattresses due to the risk of SIDS or crib death. Car seats are also on the so-so list as sometime the advances in safety technology over say 5 years might warrant a newer version of then that which someone had a half a decade ago.

ozmerc is offline Registered User

I got a used high-grade pump with new shields/bottles, etc, basically anything that could come into contact with milk. It's the actual pump part that is expensive. I draw the line at used bottles/teats and pacifiers.

I don't see a problem with a used car seat. Unless it has sustained obvious damage it's likely fine. Better than no car seat, which seems to be the norm here.

hkexpat2010 is offline Registered User

Great, thanks for all the responses! Will start scouring the classified listings soon :D

FYI- there is a meet up of some moms-to-be this Sunday, June 12th, at 9:15am at Oolala in Central/Sheung Wan if anyone is interested to join!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Re breast pumps - they say that you should NOT "share" breastpumps because droplets of the milk can theoretically get into the motor. Since milk can theoretically transmit diseases such as HIV etc that is why it's recommended not to share.

Personally, I did borrow a breastpump when my daughter was born, but it was from someone I knew and so I trusted that it would be ok. I don't think I would borrow/buy one from a stranger though, just because it IS a risk, even though the risk is small.

If you DO want to buy a used breastpump, it is important to buy new parts, INCLUDING the tubing (trust me, I've been exclusively pumping and the tubes on my pump have gotten a LOT of "milk splatter" inside them which is VERY hard to clean).

AndreaSB is offline Registered User

I agree with what most people have posted and would add toys to the list, especially soft or stuffed ones. No matter how much you clean them they'll have mites, saliva and who knows what else on them. Hard plastic toys that you can thoroughly clean eg. fisher price stuff, should be fine. Car seats as you don't know where they've been and whether they're still safe, plus kids sweat in those a lot! Basically anything involving bodily fluids I would avoid...

newhkmommy is offline Registered User

while i personally wouldn't buy used bottles or teats, they are probably fine second hand as you can sterilize them. for what it's worth, everyone shares bottles and teats at matilda in the newborn nursery. they are NOT the disposable kind ... the nurses just sterilize everything in the avent sterilizers.

charade is offline Registered User

From what I have read, the HIV virus can only live for a very limited time outside the human body and only in a very specific temperature environment. I don't think it could survive in the motor of a milk pump.

In hospitals, I have seen people using a pump after delivery borrowed from the hospital. I have also heard of the option of renting a pump from hospitals (not sure this exists in Hong Kong). If there was this risk, would hospitals do it?

[QUOTE=nicolejoy;1077113]Re breast pumps - they say that you should NOT "share" breastpumps because droplets of the milk can theoretically get into the motor. Since milk can theoretically transmit diseases such as HIV etc that is why it's recommended not to share.

P

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast