Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What baby items wouldn't you buy used?

hkexpat2010 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

What baby items wouldn't you buy used?

Wanted to get the advice of moms and moms to be! Have started looking around at nursery furniture and buying all the baby essentials, clothes, toys, aids, etc. The prices here are super high so will stock up on what I can on a trip home.

However, I'm wondering what items I should buy second hand that I could wash/clean up thoroughly and/or wouldn't be too worn out?

So the real question is what baby stuff wouldn't you buy used? I'm thinking things like a training potty I wouldn't buy used, but what about a plastic bathtub? Floor mats, cribs, swings, baby monitors?

Would love to hear your opinions!

RileyC is offline Registered User
    HK Island
    Wouldn't buy:
    Car seat
    Training potty
    Used breast pump
    Used baby bottles and teats
    Posted via Mobile Device

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Ap Lei Chau
    Well, the mattress, spoons, bottles, teethers, washable nappies. I did buy a second hand bath tub, swing, baby walker and some clothes.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    anything that goes into the baby's mouth I would not buy used - bottles, teethers, things for weaning onto solids etc...I wouldn't buy crib/mattress or tiles too.

I would buy: jumper, walker, bathtub, high chairs, toys, baby monitors, swings

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan
    Carseat. Mattress. And anything that went in babys mouth or on mothers nipples. And shoes.

ssheng is offline Registered User
    Kowloon Station
    I think anything you can thoroughly clean should be OK, but electronic items like baby monitors, room temperature monitors, air purifiers, etc, that you really want to function and could potentially be broken (baby monitor being the most important) I would probably not risk it. Likewise for things that have been chewed on and therefore could have microscopic tears/holes that would damage the usefulness, like teats. My toddler for example has picked up and thrown the monitor on the ground numerous times and it still works and looks new, but you wouldn't know how banged up it was if it were second-hand since there are no obvious markings.

Oh, and I've never seen a used training potty for sale - that's sort of hilarious...

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    i never had problems with bottles/nipples or a used breast pump, afterall, you sterilise everything before you use it anyway...right?

that said, i never bought used bottles/nipples... but i did buy a breast pump used.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    You can change the breastpump shield usually...on medela ones anyway so I don't think there's anything wrong with a used pump. The motor part doesn't touch nipples :)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast