Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Vacation with Toddler and baby - more work than staying home?

southside852 is offline Registered User
    Yes, we've done vacationing with both too - with and without helper. We just got back from Chiang Mai without my helper and just with my 7 month year old and 3 year old. It was tiring and exhausting, but loved it. We love time away from Singapore/HK and being just a family. Sure, that means once of has to be in the room when napping happens or our bedtimes are earlier, but it's all part of it. It's no surprise. We know how it will be. We also try and get a suite of like mentioned above, a room with a balcony. Personally, we never leave our kids with anyone else except with us or our helper when we travel @ Asia - no kids club, babysitters etc....

We also do love bringing our helper - this means we can have the best of both worlds. My helper can be in the room during naps and bedtime and my hubby and i can go to the spa, shopping or have a nice quiet dinner not at 6pm. there are pros and cons for both. i sometimes find bringing my helper more stress b/c there's another person with you - we have to get a connecting room, thinking about her meals etc....other times, it's great when we want to go out at night.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    random question -- don't most hotels and resorts have a babysitting service? would you trust them?

southside852 is offline Registered User
    Personally, like I mentioned above, would never trust a resort/hotel babysitting service. Many times, they use staff that is off duty etc....We just would never risk it. If that means, we have to eat dinner in the hotel room or at 5:30pm then so be it.

AngieO is offline Registered User
    I would, but put the kids to bed myself before I go out (after they have met the babysitter and know she is there) and make sure the hotel has my mobile number. If I was on holiday where my mobile didn't work then I probably wouldn't do it. I probably would only do it once a week on holiday, but it is nice to have a night out with my husband every now and then!

carang is offline Registered User
    i've only ever used the babysitting service at the venetian. she was fine.

erina320 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by southside852 View Post
    Personally, like I mentioned above, would never trust a resort/hotel babysitting service. Many times, they use staff that is off duty etc....We just would never risk it. If that means, we have to eat dinner in the hotel room or at 5:30pm then so be it.
    Totally agree with Southside. I've heard too many stories of kids disappearing from hotel rooms.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by erina320 View Post
    Totally agree with Southside. I've heard too many stories of kids disappearing from hotel rooms.
    The only one I ever heard of was the one in Portugal and no one is even sure the parents werent involved in that one.

What other ones can you remember? I'd like to find out more about these.

HC

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    We've used the hotel baby-sitting services every where we have been, and it was always fine. We just leave when the kids are fed, had a bath, are in pyjamas and ready to go to bed. Lucky enough, our kids go easily to bed and make no fuss, in early hours, so generally the baby-sitter has nothing to do (some of them were even disappointed she couldn't spend a little bit of time playing first !).
    We just let them know where we are (they just need to use the internal phone to reach the reception and they would look for us at the restaurant) if necessary.
    Now it's all different if your kids need only you to fall asleep, or have special needs. But I don't think a big hotel would take any risk sending someone they don't know or has no experience (they probably do some baby-sitting every day !).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast